Author Topic: Configuring Mythtv!  (Read 6085 times)

tesla

• View Profile
Configuring Mythtv!
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:26:29 am »
Hi Guys,

I have searched almost everywhere with no success on how to setup mythtv on LinuxMCE 0810 (both versions)!? There are few posts about this but not real answers.

Firstly, i have tried to install 0810 and 0810beta on EPIA-M motherboard and had no success. It has a problem with a screen card and with all the answers here i couldn't get it running.

So, i decided to get new motherboard, new CPU, memory, etc. which supports NVidia drivers. This was my about, 20th time i am installing and re-installing and again - no success.

Everything installs, i get the screen running but had to change to nvidia with nvidia-xconfig. Screen is ok now. I have Hauppage pvr-250 card and i noticed that it wasn't configured automatically during the installation. Long story short, i managed to install it in admin and LinuxMCE installed all the drivers needed. I thought the problem was solved, but when starting the TV it says that Mythtv backend has died and it will try and restart! Screen pause on gray for about 10 sec and goes back to orbiter screen.
Now, i went to KDE and checked mythtv setup where everything was wrong. For some time (changing settings, restarting the PC) i couldn't get the card to be registered and after i don't know what i have done, it has seen it and it looked fine. When gone back to LinuxMCE - still, same problem!

They say here that the card is not properly registered and i have to go to Computing and start Mythtv setup but there is no mythtv setup! I tried to start from terminal and it shows error.

Cam somebody please help?

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Configuring Mythtv!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:27:23 pm »
How did you install linuxmce, and when?
Maybe an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade will resolve some of your issues, especially the mythTV setup not showing in computing.

tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:59:31 pm »
Hi bongowongo,

Thanks for the reply.

I did the DVD installation and followed the instructions. After the installation of Kubuntu, i have done apt-get update and then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. After that, i installed LinuxMCE.

mathieu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:12:56 pm »
Hi,

Maybe this is not relevant to your situation, but I also had a hard time getting mythtv to work.
I had an issue of mythtv-setup not in the computing menu and pluto-mythtv-plugin not installing.
I too have a hauppauge pvr250 card and a pvr500.

The solution for me was: -power down computer
                                   -unplug all pvr cards and all non-system HDD's.
                                   -install lmce
                                   -power down
                                   -plugin pvr's and hdd's

Hope this helps

br mathieu

tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 04:29:59 pm »
Thanks mathieu,

I have tried almost anything. I have only one pvr-250 and only one HDD 1T. Basically nothing else in the pc yet. I didnt try to take the cards out and then install lmce. I will have to try that solution. What actually happens different when linux detect new hardware?

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 04:45:39 pm »
Hit me up in the irc channels

I would like to check somethings with your setup and test

Thanks

Mandingo
For a Current List of Plug and Play Capture Cards/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards

tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 07:40:55 pm »
Hi Mandingo,

Hmm, i am new in here so not sure how to get to IRC channels..
 ???

tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 11:47:26 pm »
Hi,

Maybe this is not relevant to your situation, but I also had a hard time getting mythtv to work.
I had an issue of mythtv-setup not in the computing menu and pluto-mythtv-plugin not installing.
I too have a hauppauge pvr250 card and a pvr500.

The solution for me was: -power down computer
                                   -unplug all pvr cards and all non-system HDD's.
                                   -install lmce
                                   -power down
                                   -plugin pvr's and hdd's

Hope this helps

br mathieu

Hmmm, i have tried this way and got even worse scenario.  :( Now admin page comes and goes as it feels and i cant get mythtv installed! It was showing installing but it doesn't exist even in the repo!

I am completely confused!? Why is this so difficult?

mathieu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 12:15:42 am »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out.
Here is a wiki page regarding irc: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Chat

br mathieu

tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 08:45:20 am »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out.
Here is a wiki page regarding irc: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Chat

br mathieu

Thanks mathieu...at least i tried that option too. I have just downloaded beta2 version again and will try from scratch until i get it right.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 11:37:32 am »
Make sure when you have the first bootscreen in install, you select the last option in the menu "install linuxmce".

tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 12:14:44 pm »
Make sure when you have the first bootscreen in install, you select the last option in the menu "install linuxmce".

Thats how i always did.. somehow, i think, the problem might be in repo's as i have noticed that some of the sites failed and some are ok. Next time there are more failed and less ok. I dont know if that could be the main problem as it doesn't download all the software needed!?