Author Topic: Existing Raid 5 Array  (Read 3147 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Existing Raid 5 Array
« on: June 18, 2010, 06:29:41 pm »
I've just done a clean net install of 0810.

I have a 3 disk Raid 5 array in the core (from my last 0810 installation) but it hasn't been discovered. What should happen? I have now gone into the web admin and created a new array and added my three drives ... but I don't want to wipe the existing data so I haven't clicked 'create RAID array'.

I've had my fingers burned with raid before, so any advice would be appreciated.
Barney

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
Re: Existing Raid 5 Array
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 05:11:56 pm »
Hmm, not sure, I keep LinuxMCE away from my RAID. I use separate drive to install LinuxMCE to and use 4x1TB drives in RAID + LVM setup. I just don't trust any automated system to touch my data. I like to take care of my data so I they get mangled I have no body to blame but myself.

But I'll be also trying to learn more how LinuxMCE does raid and see if I can add LVM support into lmce. Until then I hope somebody who know more can help.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:28:44 pm by valent »
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:47:27 pm »
the system should have detected it. is there a /dev/md0 device in /dev ?

-Thom

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:06:50 pm »
My server keeps removing the RAID array every time I restart the server. I have to type "sudo modprobe md-mod" in the command line to get the RAID recognised, then it usually goes into "Damaged, rebuilding" on the webadmin page.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:31:22 am »
Thanks for the input guys.
Have gone back to an older 0810 backup (different hdd) to make sure my data is safe .... and it is, so I've just done a backup to my NAS.

I'm tempted to forget the software raid (3 x 1TB). I don't need the capacity at present, so it is more logical to have one active media drive and run automated nightly backups to the spare disk(s) or the NAS (or both).

Will try my new build again and report back.
Barney

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:44:23 am »
The system was designed so that any time you wanted to add storage, just add a NAS brick.

-Thom