Author Topic: MythTV fails from lmce (but works from kubuntu) on MD  (Read 8457 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
MythTV fails from lmce (but works from kubuntu) on MD
« on: June 17, 2010, 12:22:35 am »
As the title says ... my MDs don't correctly launch mythtv (version 0.23) from within lmce BUT it works fine when launched from the kubuntu desktop on the MD.

If I launch from lmce I just see the time and date in the bottom right corner.

How can I trouble shoot this? Any suggestions?
Barney

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV fails from lmce (but works from kubuntu) on MD
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 05:54:28 am »
Your media director's packages need to be updated. particularly mythtv-player.

-Thom

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:17:06 pm »
Thom,

Packages are already up to date. Been running lmce from a net install in February. Had problems when mythtv 0.23 was rolled out (had to do a dist-upgrade). I've tried this several times with the same outcome (using ping restore then upgrading).

Might have to do a full re-install I guess.

Thanks anyway.
Barney

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:07:49 pm »
I am having an issue with myth failing as well? do you know the command line for updating myth so that I can make sure I have the most current version on my hybrid core and md's?
Core: Broken :(

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 12:32:21 am »
I was also having problems on my MD's after the 0.23 update. I did an apt-get remove of mythtv-backend and mythtv-frontend and then an apt-get install and included pluto-mythtv-player. Make sure that your apt-sources is pinned to linuxmce. mysql will give a failure but mythtv will still work.

gadget

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:38:00 am »
how do I update my MD's to the latest version of the Mythtv frontend? I removed the current one and did apt-get install mythtv-frontend and I can see it install version .22. When I do this on my core I get version .23.

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 05:03:59 pm »
Hi,

check if you have got an /etc/apt/sources.list.d/avenard.list file and remove it.
also look for "avenard" in your /etc/apt/sources.list

If nothing there, then do an
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

If you still have 0.22 then do the folowing :

dpkg -l |grep myth

This will give you a list of all mythtv packages.  Then do a :
apt-get install mythweb mythtv-XXX mythtv-YYY

replacing XXX and YYY with all the names beginning with "myth" found in the above dpkg command.
That should then say it is DOWNGRADING all packages to 0.23. The reason is that the 0.22 packages has "higher" numbers.

On my core the list is like this (afterwards) :
Code: [Select]
# dpkg -l |grep myth
ii  libmyth-0.21-0                             2:0.21.0+fixes-22228-openglvdpau2-0ubuntu2                 Common library code for MythTV and add-on mo
ii  libmyth-0.22-0                             2:0.22.0-fixes23565-0ubuntu0                               Common library code for MythTV and add-on mo
ii  libmyth-0.23-0                             0.23-0.1                                                   Common library code for MythTV and add-on mo
ii  lmce-mythtv-scripts                        2.0.0.44.09120322558                                       <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  mythtv-backend                             0.23-0.1                                                   A personal video recorder application (serve
ii  mythtv-common                              0.23-0.1                                                   A personal video recorder application (commo
ii  mythtv-database                            0.23-0.1                                                   A personal video recorder application (datab
ii  mythtv-doc                                 0.23-0.1                                                   A personal video recorder application (docum
ii  mythtv-frontend                            0.23-0.1                                                   A personal video recorder application (clien
ii  mythweb                                    0.23-0.0                                                   An integrated web browser plugin for your My
ii  pluto-mythtv-player                        2.0.0.44.10062823119                                       <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-mythtv-plugin                        2.0.0.44.10061723082                                       <insert up to 60 chars description>

hope it helps.

if not you will have to tell the exact version to install - but more on that if this does not work.

EDIT: Otherwise look in the log below /var/log/pluto on the MD something with *Spawn* to see the mythtv-frontend startup log

Viking
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:07:51 pm by Viking »

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:42:04 pm »
you guys make this way harder than it needs to be

if your core upgraded fine

wouldnt it make sense just to copy the preferences file from the core to the md and then update and dist-upgrade

this will get you myth .23

Thanks

Mandingo
For a Current List of Plug and Play Capture Cards/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 04:59:39 am »
wouldnt it make sense just to copy the preferences file from the core to the md and then update and dist-upgrade

Thanks for that suggestion.
where is the preference file located and what is the file name for it?

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 06:02:42 am »
where is the preference file located and what is the file name for it?

/etc/apt/preferences

J.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:45:34 am »
I just added the preference file to that location and tried to update.. The update did not work and I got some errors. I think I am just going to start fresh and reinstall the MD before attempting again.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:16 am »
Yeah... I think I effed it up real good. That preference file i think caused some issues. I tried reinstalling the MD and all I get is a cifs_mount failed w/return code =-13 error. the MD never boots.

I was retarded enough not to back up the old preference file.
any ideas?

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 02:55:29 pm »
mine looks like this :

# We take MythTV from our repo always
Package: mythtv mythtv-frontend mythtv-backend mythtv-common mythtv-database mythtv-transcode-utils mythweb libmythtv-perl libmyth python-myth mythtv-themes mythplugins mytharchive mytharchive-data mythbrowser mythgallery mythgame mythmovies mythmusic mythnetvison mythnetvision-data mythnews mythvideo mythweather mythzoneminder myth-doc
Pin: origin deb.linuxmce.org
Pin-Priority: 1001

# If our local package uses the same version as elsewhere, we take the one we have locally.
Package: *
Pin: origin
Pin-Priority: 600

but what will it help you if you do a new install of the MD ?

Viking

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 04:37:41 pm »
mine looks like this :

# If our local package uses the same version as elsewhere, we take the one we have locally.
Package: *
Pin: origin
Pin-Priority: 600
Please change the Pin-Priority to 500.
but what will it help you if you do a new install of the MD ?

After changing the preferences, the sources.list or the apt.conf, a re-run of /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh will make sure, that each new MD will have those changes.

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV fails from LinuxMCE (but works from kubuntu) on MD
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 02:11:40 pm »
I tried this - the apt preferences file on the core was as indicated.
I re-ran Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh, had some coffee, and then rebuilt my MD image.
Still wrong apt preferences file on the MD :(
Should I have deleted the MD fully, and started from scratch?

-Coley.