Author Topic: Frustrated With Myth  (Read 7126 times)

msocko3

• View Profile
Frustrated With Myth
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:45:28 am »
I've been fooling with LMCE for over a year, I started with 8.10 Alpha and now I'm running the beta. Up until the 6/1 update I had been running the 3/23 update with absolutly no problems, my system would run for months without a issue. The biggest mistake I made was updating my system with the 6/1 update without a backup, I learned my lesson because it killed things big time. I had thought LMCE was getting close to a release canidate back in March or April yet I keep seeing more additions and changes. One of the changes that just baffles me and has been a big problem for me is the 'Baking in' of Myth .23, Myth was running great now its my biggest nightmare. I have a PVR150 and 2 WinTv PVR USB's and the only one that works and doesn't work well is the PVR150. With the removal of being able to get into the Myth config I can no longer even attempt at getting things right.  I had to manualy add the WinTv PVR USB 2's, they didn't auto detect and Myth won't use them even when I tell it to use one of them it just won't record. I use Mythweb a great deal to manage and keep track of things, now when I click on backend status all I get is a blank screen with nothing on it except for the Mythtv header and the other links. There is no encoder information, no drive information, nothing at all. I've reinstalled several times using the 6/7 image when it was the current image. I'm about at the end of my rope with it, I'd love to get back to the old version I had which ran like a top. The recordings I am getting out of the PVR150 have colored blocks on the bottom 2" of the picture, this just started with the 6/7 update I'm running. Before picture clarity from all 3 of my tuners was great. Not sure if it will work but I've attached a jpg of what the recording looks like now.

I understand this is a Beta but I sure would have thought maybe things that worked wouldn't get messed with in the process of developing the finished product.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated With Myth
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:57:32 pm »
Hi, i also had this problem (colored stripes).
I turned VBI format to none, and the problem went away.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:00:28 pm by pw44 »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 04:14:06 pm »
Hi, i also had this problem (colore stripes).

Yep I believe that would fix that issue.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

msocko3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:45:18 pm »
Hi, i also had this problem (colored stripes).

I can't get into myth-setup to change it. In past versions it would be under computing and listed under installed software, now there is nothing listed there. This is what has been driving me nuts, I can't get into the config so I can fix my problems with this and my 2 WinTv PVR USB2's. The USB2's have been added to the media director they are connected to in the admin menu which in my case is the core/hybrid. I set them up in the setup wizard yet myth will not use them.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:58:26 pm »
KDE desktop, open konsole (terminal), sudo mythtv-setup.
This way you will be able to do it.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 09:37:40 pm »
Sorry about your issues, msocko.

We had to replace MythTV 0.22, because it was a living hell of a codebase, for everyone concerned (this is universal agreement between the MythTV developers, the distributions that use Myth, and Dianemo, who have their LinuxMCE variant.). MythTV 0.23 has been incredibly stable for us, and a lot more users than 0.22 ever was.

The issue with MythTV Setup not appearing has been fixed, and should be present in the next update (the database entries for those quick start applications were accidentally removed, and have been replaced back into the database.)

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 11:15:40 pm »
Sorry about your issues, msocko.

We had to replace MythTV 0.22, because it was a living hell of a codebase, for everyone concerned (this is universal agreement between the MythTV developers, the distributions that use Myth, and Dianemo, who have their LinuxMCE variant.). MythTV 0.23 has been incredibly stable for us, and a lot more users than 0.22 ever was.

The issue with MythTV Setup not appearing has been fixed, and should be present in the next update (the database entries for those quick start applications were accidentally removed, and have been replaced back into the database.)

-Thom

Yep we 100% agree with Thom. The 0.22 release was so unstable we did not even provide it to our customers - we stuck with 0.21. We have just transitioned to 0.23 and it is a massively better release than 0.22 and our experience todate is excellent.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

msocko3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 01:33:31 am »
Thanks guys, I'll give this a try when I am home and have the time. I hope I didn't come off as to much of a hot head, I was pretty frustrated with it. I work swing shift so I use Myth alot to record TV shows that I enjoy watching, was pretty bummed out when it broke. Once I get it going again I'll be a happy camper.

_if_

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 11:15:33 am »
I have similar problems with picturequality in mythtv for months now, VBI is off...
I got the hauppauge nova-s plus and tv works great with my normal sat receiver (used the same wire).

http://de.tinypic.com/r/28bgtv4/6

any ideas?

thanks
IF

msocko3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 01:06:55 am »
I have my 2 wayward tuners now operating (Thanks pw44), the VBI format setting was at none. Both the Wintv PVR usb2 tuners record great with good quality, the PVR150 however still has the noise on the bottom 2" of the screen. I'm thinking I might check the cable tv going to it, then just pull and re-seat the card and see if that takes care of it. If I still have the problem I have another PVR150 as a spare I will install and see if it is better.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 02:47:29 am »
I have my 2 wayward tuners now operating (Thanks pw44), the VBI format setting was at none. Both the Wintv PVR usb2 tuners record great with good quality, the PVR150 however still has the noise on the bottom 2" of the screen. I'm thinking I might check the cable tv going to it, then just pull and re-seat the card and see if that takes care of it. If I still have the problem I have another PVR150 as a spare I will install and see if it is better.

Verify the input of the cable (shall be the second, from top to down), chek the color system and the channel frequency table (the same page where VBI format is defined).
For the other settings also check it (channels amd tuners for channel frequency table and others). I'm not a myth expert and i had a hard time configuring the options. The last one i have changed was VBI, when finally those colored stripes went away.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:24:20 am by pw44 »

msocko3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 11:24:31 pm »
Verify the input of the cable (shall be the second, from top to down), chek the color system and the channel frequency table (the same page where VBI format is defined).
For the other settings also check it (channels amd tuners for channel frequency table and others). I'm not a myth expert and i had a hard time configuring the options. The last one i have changed was VBI, when finally those colored stripes went away.

I tried the cable, even with the cable unhooked and the screen showing snow the colored bar was there. I pulled and re-seated the card and even deleted it and removed it and installed a spare PVR150 I have with still the same results. I gave up and deleted it and pulled it from the system, my other 2 are working great. Who knows maybe the PCI slot is going bad, I don't care to keep poking it in the eye until something breaks.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 12:37:20 am »
In my case, it was a matter of configuration.... After trying with the various parameters, the stripes went away, so i can not suppose it has something to do with the pci slot or with the board itself. The colored stripes i had with the PVR-150, solved it and changed the PVR-150 by a PVR-500 (treated as 2 PVR-150).
VBI off, Closed Caption off, PAL-M (for Brazil), us-broadscat frequency.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 11:27:44 pm »
Did you get it working?

msocko3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 10:45:02 am »
Did you get it working?

I gave up and yanked the PVR150. Both of the PVRusb2s' I have work great, couldn't figure out the PVR150 so I decided to quit messing before I broke something and made myself mad. The only critter in Mythtv that still rears its ugly head is when it imports the recording into the LMCE database it sometimes names it something that has long been deleted.