Author Topic: sharing one usbuirt with core and md?  (Read 3437 times)

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
sharing one usbuirt with core and md?
« on: June 04, 2010, 07:34:35 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out the entertainment-area setup. In my livingroom I have the core hooked up to the projector and my md to the tv....both have a connection to my soundsystem..one with optical, one with coax. So I was wondering if it was possible to put only one usbuirt on the core and use it to also control things like volume for the md?

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: sharing one usbuirt with core and md?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 04:00:05 am »
I think it would require both displays to watch one of them. The other would function normally.

And possibly a blaster to switch inputs on whatever your sound system uses... unless it has rs232.

Basically I think you would have to use one as an orbiter to control the other. So, if your core is the projector, md the tv... if your uirt was on the md, the tv would have to be on (at least for a time) to use the orbiter to control the projector. I don't think that is the answer you are looking for. You are asking if the control can be shared... and I want to say the answer is no because I can't think of a way to switch without creating a scenario where you can end up losing control with the controller.

I think the answer is an orbiter... With that much tech in one room... should be able to rig something nice and cheap.
I never quit... I just ping out.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:59:57 am »
Man, those USBuirt's are dirt-cheap. Certainly cheaper than a dedicated orbiter.

Why not just get 2 and avoid the hassle?
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:34:33 pm »
okay...depends on what dirt-cheap is...and where. I live in germany and -due to my lack of understanding perhaps- I only found them available at usbuirt.com at a price of 50$

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 06:32:56 pm »
To understand this, would be to understand how the device tree structure works.

If you place a device, as controlled by the UIRT, then any messages going to that device, will be handled by the UIRT.

However, if you place the device as controlled by another media director's UIRT, then when the On or Off commands go to a particular media director, then they will also go to the UIRT's child devices, producing some unusual results when you put the room to sleep, etc. (the device in the other room will also turn off.)

In short, you're being a cheapskate. Stop it. You're making things much harder on yourself than you ever should. Save yourself some pain, get the additional UIRT, and set things up cleanly.

-Thom

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 08:01:31 pm »
okay...seems like a reasonable argument. I hope I can get the proper ir-codes...I seem to have the uncanny ability to have devices, where there are no codes on the net...but as I read the usbuirt can learn them from the remote.

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:35:12 pm »
Learning works fine. I did 4 controls in about 20 mins :-)