Author Topic: No videos after install  (Read 3392 times)

juice

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
No videos after install
« on: June 06, 2010, 09:32:55 pm »
Hey Sorry maybe this is something simple Im missing. I have experience with software dev but am completely new to linux.

Ive been reading about linuxmce for a bit and finally sacrificed one of my computers to the cause. I am trying to get a reliable hybrid setup and then will experiment with MD. All my movies are on an external drive and for some reason everything works but external hard drives dont show up in manage drives and the videos aren't found. If i switch to the Kubuntu desktop i can find the external drive and open it. Also no videos are found at all by linuxmce (it does find DVD`s) I copied a movie into the videos folder and it also didnt show up.

Is there something obvious im missing ?

Thanks guys,

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:45:09 pm by juice »

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: No videos after install
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:13:54 pm »
External drives should be detected and prompt you to use them.  Did you by chance click the option not to use a drive and not to ask about it later?  If you said yes to use it and yes to use the lmce layout, you should see a /home/public/data/* filesystem structure where you can put your media.  If that's the videos folder you are talking about, and answered yes to use the drive, then the only other thing I can think of is you may have turned off the update media daemon.

juice

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:08:26 am »
Thanks for the quick reply,

The external drive isn`t prompting me when i connect it, but it is available in Kubuntu. The Update Media Daemon box is checked. What I meant about copying  to the video folder is that I put a movie onto the local HD video folder (in kubuntu) I figured that should show up but it.

Actually I tried linuxMCE on another of my less powerful computers yesterday and it prompted me with the hard drive and some other things but it lacked the power to do anything real on it so i installed it on this computer. This computer hasnt prompted me for any hardware yet.

Ideas ?

Thanks,

juice

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 05:57:11 pm »
Tried to do a complete reinstall last night and still doesn't work. It doesn't seem to ever find new devices and hardware; my other computer found network drives and a few other things as well as the external HD. I really don't care about the network drives but without access to my hard drive its really useless. 

Is there a reason this could happen?

Thanks,

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 02:04:27 am »
Welcome to the forum juice.

What sort of external drive? I have read (here on the forum) that usb drives are unreliable. I use a NAS without any problems.

As skeptic said the folder that is scanned for media is /home/public/data. AFAIK whenever you add a new HDD (or NAS etc) you should be prompted that lmce has found a new storage media and you need to confirm that lmce can use the device. The public/data/ folder structure will also be created on the device .... then symlinks are automatically created beneath the /home/public/data folder which are then also scanned.

When adding a new storage device you should always choose to use linuxmce's folder structure. This is one of the fundamental steps in having a good configuration. You shouldn't need to play around in kubuntu desktop.

Try adding a video to /home/public/data/videos/. It should get scanned quite quickly. One caveat is that some media needs to be tagged correctly in order to be found. For example an mp3 without an album tag will not appear (if I remember correctly).

I think your problem is that your external drive is not detected at the moment for some reason. Also, it sounds like your media is not in linuxmce's preferred structure.

Hope this makes sense, I've had too many beers.
Barney

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 08:14:15 am »
Hi, just wanted to share my experiences of having drive detection problems.

I also understood from the forum that USB drives are not preferred with LMCE. Software RAID is available but since 810 is still in beta and especially because of myself adding tweaking and playing destroying the setup, that solution for data storage might not be that trouble free. Decided to buy a NAS, one that was often mentioned here just to make sure it installs without a hassle (my first NAS).

Nope, it was not detected automatically. Darn. Tried couple of times before finding help from the wiki for 'Manual Creation of a File Server' at http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Howto:_Using_Network_Shares. With those instructions, no problem at all.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 08:35:57 am »
if your network is set up correctly, then file servers are always detected.

I've gone over that section of the code with a fine toothed comb.

-Thom