Author Topic: Snapshot - 1st June - observations  (Read 4023 times)

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
Snapshot - 1st June - observations
« on: June 06, 2010, 05:17:56 am »
Hi All,

Some observations re the snapshot from the 1st June 2010.

Not sure if they are known issues or not....

1. Onscreen Keyboard obscures the MythTV Backend setup buttons via Computing

2. Mythtv Backend Setup via Computing will not allow me to add and TV Tuners.

Cards are visible (in the add tuner section) but after clicking Finish – no changes are made (they are not listed in the available tuners section). Maybe a permissions issue?

To fix this I had to go into KDE and run the mythtv backend setup. Once added here they seem to hold and are visible via computing.

3. I have 3 addition HDDs in the hybrid. On one of these it seemed to add a recursive link back to another drive. This caused the media scanning scripts to fail and also left countless duplicate entries for some files. Fix was to simply to run the command: unlink on the symbolic link.

4. (minor) The screen goes into standby (turns blank) when watching MythTV without any peripheral input (comes back on with the touch of the gyro).

5. (minor) General plugin & Mythtv download failed during initial Wizard. After a bit of time these seem to correct themselves (re-installed).

6. (minor) When in KDE Mythtv Backend Setup (because of issue 2) the Hdhome run seems fine, however the other tuner I tried to added (DVICO dual digital 4) I got an error “could not get card info for card '/dev/dvb/adapter0/....' Unknown Error.

In spite of this I was still able to add them. When returning to the mythtv backend setup via computing they appear correctly (and they work).

---
Other than the above, it seems pretty stable so far. Zwave lights, Rs232 denon amp working well. Other media is fine. Now to install mame ;-)

Thanks devs!
WR.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Snapshot - 1st June - observations
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:16:18 pm »
1. The onscreen keyboard will go away soon, for now.

2. Please work with Mandingo to add support for your tuner card so that you do not have to use MythTV Setup to add them.

3. Do you happen to remember what the symlink was called, and what it pointed to? You have to be VERY careful, as updatemedia needs symlinks to properly traverse the media in a share. What disk was the symlink on? (Did you accidentally try to add your boot drive as a pluto disk?)

4. was KDE desktop running at this point? This can be a problem. If you go into KDE Desktop and disable the screen saver, this should not happen. and this problem should only exhibit itself if the KDE desktop was explicitly launched. (I want to get rid of the Desktop completely.)

5. server load on our end, perhaps?

6. Again, please work with Mandingo to support your card. We want to make it so you never have to go into MythTV Setup.

-Thom

Hi All,

Some observations re the snapshot from the 1st June 2010.

Not sure if they are known issues or not....

1. Onscreen Keyboard obscures the MythTV Backend setup buttons via Computing

2. Mythtv Backend Setup via Computing will not allow me to add and TV Tuners.

Cards are visible (in the add tuner section) but after clicking Finish – no changes are made (they are not listed in the available tuners section). Maybe a permissions issue?

To fix this I had to go into KDE and run the mythtv backend setup. Once added here they seem to hold and are visible via computing.

3. I have 3 addition HDDs in the hybrid. On one of these it seemed to add a recursive link back to another drive. This caused the media scanning scripts to fail and also left countless duplicate entries for some files. Fix was to simply to run the command: unlink on the symbolic link.

4. (minor) The screen goes into standby (turns blank) when watching MythTV without any peripheral input (comes back on with the touch of the gyro).

5. (minor) General plugin & Mythtv download failed during initial Wizard. After a bit of time these seem to correct themselves (re-installed).

6. (minor) When in KDE Mythtv Backend Setup (because of issue 2) the Hdhome run seems fine, however the other tuner I tried to added (DVICO dual digital 4) I got an error “could not get card info for card '/dev/dvb/adapter0/....' Unknown Error.

In spite of this I was still able to add them. When returning to the mythtv backend setup via computing they appear correctly (and they work).

---
Other than the above, it seems pretty stable so far. Zwave lights, Rs232 denon amp working well. Other media is fine. Now to install mame ;-)

Thanks devs!
WR.

mathieu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:27:30 am »
Hi Guys,

My first post on this forum. Have been following the forum and reading the wiki for long. Wanna say thanks to the devs and others who invest their time in this project.

Point 5 of OP I can confirm (I used a 4 may snapshot dvd): I also cannot download the general-info plugin. When I click 'Start Using The System' , it keeps saying it is bussy with downloading the plugin. I clicked "force anyway?"

Is there a way of manually installing it?

I tried apt-get install general-info-plugin

It returns:dpkg was interupted, you must manually run "dpkg --configure -a" to correct the problem.

Is this safe to do?

br mathieu

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:27:17 am »
Let the system repair itself. It will take care of this automatically.

Please fight your Linux User instincts, and let this system do what it needs to do, there is a considerable amount of architecture in place for the system to figure out what's wrong and try to repair itself.

-Thom

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:35:59 pm »
Hi Thom,

Thanks for you comments. See below:

2. Please work with Mandingo to add support for your tuner card so that you do not have to use MythTV Setup to add them.
- The cards are supported (HDhomerun + a DVICO Dual Digital 2 - details added to the sticky in the past). The cards showed up correctly in Mythtv backend setup via computing.. I just couldn't get any changes I made there to stick (as opposed to when in KDE desktop)?

3. Do you happen to remember what the symlink was called, and what it pointed to? You have to be VERY careful, as updatemedia needs symlinks to properly traverse the media in a share. What disk was the symlink on? (Did you accidentally try to add your boot drive as a pluto disk?)
Yeah - it was called drive3[32] (I rename all my drives in the web admin so it isn't a serial number).

It was within the /home/public/data/video/drive4[33]/ pointing to /home/public/data/video/drive3[32]/. Kinda odd. From within that drive I just did unlink drive3[32]. Everything seems fine now.

4. was KDE desktop running at this point? This can be a problem. If you go into KDE Desktop and disable the screen saver, this should not happen. and this problem should only exhibit itself if the KDE desktop was explicitly launched. (I want to get rid of the Desktop completely.)
- Yep it was (had to go into KDE to fix MythTV cards). I am retesting now after a reboot. Will see if this fixes it.

5. server load on our end, perhaps?
- Not sure - as above, seems others might have been getting this also. A bit of patience and it was ok though ;)

6. Again, please work with Mandingo to support your card. We want to make it so you never have to go into MythTV Setup.
- I'll hit mandingo up on IRC at some point, but as above I think the cards are already supported.

Cheers,
Adriel.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:13:34 pm »

http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/714