Author Topic: Willing to contribute on documentaion/site also revise the boot menu and install  (Read 8771 times)

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC
Ok I’m working on some documentation:

1.   To make it easier for everyday people to install LinuxMCE.
2.   Consolidate the tutorials and organize them.
3.   A place to track tasks, team members, and so on.

I’m using my own site and domain to put this together once done I will post a link if everybody likes it then we can transfer it or link to it.
Can we make a quick edit to the boot menu as in get rid of it, so it starts the install straight away with default values as in username password, once installed it starts the LinuxMCE install script.
So all a user has to do is put in the disk and wait for the AV Wizard, If no one has the time to do this could you point me in the right direction and I will try to do it
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:16:52 pm by Riggs »
Dell XPS Gen5 P4 3.2Ghz 64 x2, 3Gbs Ram, GeForce 8600GT 1Gb VRam, Creative Audigy 2 ZS, LinuxMCE 10.04 32bit,, 2 Eth Cards, Comcast business 25Mbs/5Mbs. Zwave, X10, Vera 3.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
FWIW I don't think having a system that installs without user involvement from boot media is a good idea!

What happens if you accidentally boot a machine with the disk in it? Bye bye disk and data! No, the install needs at least some manual steps (even the Evil Empire's products do that!!)

Just my 10 Eurocents
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC
Well at least make it more of a media center install,

I mean we dont need to input username and passwords as we have to set them up in the av wizard why do it twice, same as location and time etc.

We could have a clean menu as in:

"If this is a new PC/clean system (you have no data on the drive)" automatic install

"if you have data on the drive" advanced install"

we don't need to see Kubuntu live or install Kubuntu.

It is called LinuxMCE not Kubuntu, a user is installing a Media Center not Kubuntu
they will just get frustrated of having to type in and select info twice, Think about who LinuxMCE is attracting people who like having a Media Center, and they are coming from Windows MCE.
It needs to be easy for them and look polished from the start, after all if you can switch them, you then switch company's from Microsoft to Linux it would mean more support more hardware more devs.
Ubuntu switched people because it was free and easy but lost people because it was brown
OpenSuse switches people because it looks good but hardware support and game support is crap.

LinuxMCE does not have to worry about game support or loads of hardware like Ubuntu or Opensuse, because it is a media center.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:10:29 pm by Riggs »
Dell XPS Gen5 P4 3.2Ghz 64 x2, 3Gbs Ram, GeForce 8600GT 1Gb VRam, Creative Audigy 2 ZS, LinuxMCE 10.04 32bit,, 2 Eth Cards, Comcast business 25Mbs/5Mbs. Zwave, X10, Vera 3.

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
@Riggs I'm willing to help you in doing these tasks. How do you suggest we start?
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC
Well there is three tasks:

1. To create a preseed for the automatic install.
2. Edit the boot menu (take all references to Kubuntu then create automatic install and advanced.
3. lets get a thread together and get some ideas for logos and splash screens (I no we are short on developers but we must have so people good with art)

I'm very new to linux so I'm browsing the web to find out how to do these things, so if you know how to do any of the task, then let me know what you are doing if not then we can work together and work it out

ckerkhoff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Here is a splash that has already been made: http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/656

It would probably be better to just put "Install Linuxmce" to the top of the list on the boot screen of the install disk.

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC
I'm not a leader here I'm just some one who likes LMCE and thinks it has great potential, and I think its time LMCE had it's own identity.
I read that Thom in a way wants to get away from Pluto so doing this would be a great start.
Do any of the main devs want to have there say voice there plans, while they are build a better system for us all we can a least help my a name for them.

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC
May be we could have a competition like Ubuntu did for there boot splash only lets not pick basic as i seen a few boot slashes on youtube that made me think wow, then i install 10.04 and think WTF.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:48:52 pm by Riggs »

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC
How about create a thread for art work, have people submit there work then post a pole and let the community decide what they like. maybe it will gain traction on the web and bring people in and not just for art

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
May be we could have a competition like Ubuntu did for there boot splash only lets not pick basic as i seen a few boot slashes on youtube that made me think wow, then i install 10.04 and think WTF.

Could you please post some of best splash boot screens that you saw on youtube? Thanks

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/656

Link already posted

So first step would be to locate .deb package with kubuntu artwork, replace the images in it, package it again in .deb and install that one instead of default one. Right? Am I missing something?

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC
just the splash screen and boot menu, I'm not sure how these are stored

Riggs

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Kotonix LLC
I dont know if the Devs want to keep the desktop in the long run, right i guess its good for debug and dev'ing i would have thought that when thing get stable they would some how not include the desktop to make the system slimmer and free up space and work load on the system.
I'm sure there is a road map out there but i cant find it thats why i wanna find it all and put it together