Author Topic: LED Hdtv Vs LCD Vs Plasma.  (Read 5872 times)

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
LED Hdtv Vs LCD Vs Plasma.
« on: May 31, 2010, 06:03:54 pm »
Dear users,   

there used to be a myth that plasma leaves burn marks but in lmce there is screen saver all the time. So I dont think we may have that issue.

with this in mind. if someone can contribute their knowledge about selecting best tv with better control in lmce and no compromise in quality @ good price.

any input will be highly appreciated.

what are the pro and cone of selecting plasma TV?

Thanks in advance. ???

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: LED Hdtv Vs LCD Vs Plasma.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:17:41 pm »
Dear users,   

there used to be a myth that plasma leaves burn marks but in lmce there is screen saver all the time. So I dont think we may have that issue.

with this in mind. if someone can contribute their knowledge about selecting best tv with better control in lmce and no compromise in quality @ good price.

any input will be highly appreciated.

what are the pro and cone of selecting plasma TV?

Thanks in advance. ???

For domestic quality TV panels really there is very little reason to go with Plasma technology now as LCD's have overall very similar performance at around the same price range. LED backlit TV's from the likes of LG & Samsung do get you a pretty big uplift in brightness, lack of backlight patching and of course a pretty big gain in energy efficiency too...and they are the current winners in the 'thin-ness' battle too.

However if your looking at Pro range TV panels from say Panasonic then there is still a big uplift in performance with these... in particular in the area of black level and contrast ratio etc. But you will pay Pro prices for these panels...

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 06:36:20 pm »
Thank you for your quick reply.

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:53:45 pm »
One additional aspect with LCDs is still the quite limited viewing angle.
/Kooma

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:52:53 pm »
not with recent LCD panels, most of them feature >178 degrees of viewing angle..

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:32:16 pm »
In any case, viewing angle is just another property to check out in store before buying. Here's a link to one test illustrating the situation, scroll down to "viewing angle" section (test made in 2009, though):
http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Samsung-LN32B360-LCD-HDTV-Review-995/Audio.htm

The site has an opinion on manufacturers' published values:
"Our viewing angle test examines the contrast ratio and color shift of the display at different viewing angles. We measure the contrast ratio at 5 degree increments from 0 degrees (straight on) to ±85 degrees. Our scoring for this test is based upon the point at which the contrast ratio has fallen by 50 percent from the maximum we measured at 0 degrees. This means that our ranges of satisfactory viewing angles are very different from the ones the manufacturers publish, which are generally based on the angle at which the contrast ratio falls to 10:1. We feel that this is far too low, since most displays have a face-on contrast ratio of over 1000:1, making a 10:1 contrast ratio unwatchable".

/Kooma

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:26:06 pm »
I have a 50" Plasma and it's truly bad ass.  I highly recommend it.  There is burn in with plasmas but newer plasmas are more resistant to it.  That doesn't mean you can pause your show and run to the supermarket.  They also last as long if not longer than LCD panels.  Basically you wont regret the plasma but you wont regret LED and LCD panels ether.  

My only thing is other than the Blu-ray player a computer is basically delivering all video to my Tv.  I'm always very nervous about the computer locking up or hanging and burning the screen.  What if there is a glitch and the screen saver doesn't come on? or it comes on and freezes.  Hasn't happened yet but it's possible, we have a bad habit (which we're working on) of leaving the room for unspecified amount of time with the TV on.  Windows 7 would always wake it self up and go back to sleep and LinuxMCE can turn the TV on.  Even with UI2 and the screen saver there are more static images than you realise.  My previous Tv was LCD so i didn't notice but i can see temporary burn in more times than i would like to with my plasma.  If i had to do it again, for the soul reason of not having to worry about it, I would have spent the extra money and bought the LED.  My plan is to turn off the screen saver and change the back ground color from what ever you call that color to black and remove the on-screen orbiter once i get the webdt.  I haven't really looked into yet but that's my game plan, If you can live with that work around then i say go plasma.  

Edit: if you watch allot of hulu and you're making this purchase now, you will want to fix that strip at the top of the screen if you go with the plasma.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:29:52 pm by klovell »

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 07:44:31 pm »
A couple (?) of years ago, I bought a Sharp AQUOS LC-42D64U.  The reason, it had a fully functional serial port with pages 60 & 61 dedicated to RS-232C port specifications including a nice command table.  It also had 7 inputs.

You may want to look at the Aquos range, or check others for FULL serial port with make sure the command table is comprehensive and supplied.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:29:04 pm by marrandy »

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 09:32:58 pm »
Page 2

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:14:31 am »
I recently bought a Sharp Aquos, 60" standard LCD.  Price was right, picture is great, consistently high reviews.  For a bit more money they have the LED LCD range with a few other improvments.  As totallymaxed mentioned, LCDs are similar quality picture to plasma without the (potential) drawbacks.  I still think plasma has better fast motion picture, but LCDs have tricks to help with the flickering.  Local dimming LEDs (different from edge light LEDs) are going to be the best option in the near future, unless you are really keen on the slimness only edge lit LEDs can deliver, but the local dimming ones are still expensive and hard to find.

So, if you are looking for a flat screen TV that integrates into LMCE, I'll pass on the recommendation given to me that I followed and suggest a Sharp Aquos LCD.  From there, your wants and budget can lead you to the right one.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 02:46:20 am »
Thank you all. The replies are really helpful.