Author Topic: Boot media director from USB  (Read 3267 times)

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Boot media director from USB
« on: June 03, 2010, 03:41:04 pm »
Is there any way to install a media director onto a USB stick and then use it to boot several machines into LinuxMCE? There are several computers in the lab that I want to run as media directors but they don't support PXE booting. I tried finding something that goes on the USB drive and uses PXE to boot off the network but I can't find anything and think that loading a media director directly off the drive would be easier.

Shoudl I just install Kubuntu 8.10 to the stick then install MCE on top of it?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Boot media director from USB
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 04:08:32 pm »
No. The Disked Media Director option was removed from the system, because it became a living hell to keep in sync.

The root fs for a given media director is in /usr/pluto/diskless/xx if you want to hack something together?

-Thom

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 04:47:21 pm »
Yeah I'm not too great at hacking stuff together. Is there something I could install on the USB drive to use PXE booting? I looked on the wiki but I'm not too sure what I'm doing with that. No time left for today anyway, but maybe I'll try on tuesday. I could always load a LiveCD of Kubuntu to try building it at home, I'd just have no way of testing it until tuesday.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:48:35 pm »
google for etherboot.

-Thom

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:29:16 pm »
I have a MD that doesn't PXE boot.  I use a CDROM to boot from then allows the system to PXE boot from the LMCE Core.  it uses gPXE there are further details: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7930.0  I believe you can use a USB stick, CDROM or floppy disk.

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 01:05:03 am »
That's excellent, I'll look it up when I get to college tomorrow. I should be able to get 9 or so media directors running at once. I will also make a video for youtube I think. Get them all playing the same video and it'll look cool.