Author Topic: newbie wireless help  (Read 5599 times)

si70

• View Profile
newbie wireless help
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:16:44 pm »
Thanks in advance for any help you can give. :)

i've got the latest snapshot up and running etho-external-dhcp  eth1-internal-dhcp. but i also have a small wireless network i want to add the core. so i'm looking for help in setting up an access point in the core with encryption.

i have searched on here and also on the net with no luck. but i often can't see things under my nose.
any links will be gratefully apreaciated.

if its not possible or to complicated i was thinking of using a old wired xp machine with connection sharing to link the two. this not ideal but would it spread the service the wireless network?

simon :) 
Ta

Simon

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: newbie wireless help
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:51:08 pm »
Why not at a wireless AP to the core, it works best. Not all features will be supported, like netbooting MD, or it is not best practice. So plug in an AP to your switch or directly to the core.

si70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:26:33 pm »
oh yes thats what i would like to do. i have the pci wireless card in the core just can find how to set it up. thanks for the reply.
Ta

Simon

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:16:42 am »
I'm a newbie as well so that might explain why I didn't entirely understand. Anyways as I've understood works best, and as I've done, you should have something like this:
Internet - (external) Core (internal) - Network
Your wireless Acess Point can be connected anywhere on the internal network (like bongowongo says) and you need to assign it to the internal DHCP.

si70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:33:25 pm »
oh yes i got that ;) , and i found a wiki showing in simple terms how to do that, but i need encpytion and a method of restricting access to the access point. have you seen any info on this? or do you think i'm making a rod for my own back  :-\ and should just buy a wireless router and use it as bridge to the core?
any help feedback appreciated.

simon
Ta

Simon

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:27:47 am »
I have an old netgear router (cable) working as my wireless access point.

So I have a gigbit switch that takes care of the internal wired network, into which my second NIC on the core, MDs, telephone etc all plug into. The wireless access point (an old router in my case) is also plugged into the switch (on the router, make sure you use the port that the internet cable would normally plug into).

Assuming it is spare and you don't need the settings, I would recommend doing a factory reset on the router. Then, ensure that DHCP is enabled (have I got this right, anyone?), and away you go. You now have a basic WAP without security. Check it works, and then you can then set up WPA, MAC filtering, etc, in the normal way.

Hope this helps.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 03:16:22 pm »
should just buy a wireless router and use it as bridge to the core?

I have an Asus wireless router that I use only as a wireless access point (WAP). Most of the features are turned off (such as DHCP) but WPA-2 was left on. There was actually a setting on the router to use it only as a WAP.

purps

• If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 03:58:42 pm »
should just buy a wireless router and use it as bridge to the core?

I have an Asus wireless router that I use only as a wireless access point (WAP). Most of the features are turned off (such as DHCP) but WPA-2 was left on. There was actually a setting on the router to use it only as a WAP.
I got confused - you enable DHCP on a router if you're going to try and use it as a switch, it needs to be disabled if you're just using it as an access point, have I got that right?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

si70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 10:42:14 pm »
 ;)Thanks guys a trip down to the shops it is then. but can any people out there help with the DHCP question purps asked? it may well save me some head scratching later on

simon
Ta

Simon

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 03:23:11 am »
So long as the switch is plugged into the "internet" or "wan" input on the wireless ap, it can keep DHCP on. If you are just plugging the switch into the network ports of the AP, you will have to turn off DHCP and set its ip to 192.168.80.xxx. The core will then handle DHCP for devices connected to it.
I never quit... I just ping out.

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 02:04:58 am »
oh yes i got that ;) , and i found a wiki showing in simple terms how to do that, but i need encpytion and a method of restricting access to the access point. have you seen any info on this? or do you think i'm making a rod for my own back  :-\ and should just buy a wireless router and use it as bridge to the core?
any help feedback appreciated.

simon
It would surprise me if you can't put encryption on but you never know the with lack of options on some firmware. What device do you have?

As l3mce says there are 2 options. The former keeps the network separate when connected to the WAN. I've done the latter (connected to the network ports) so it's on the same network. Configured it to the LMCE DHCP and accessed its internal ip address to access the wifi settings, incl. security.

si70

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 08:58:54 pm »
its just a cheap maplin pci card. i could get it going but did not find any info on how to restrict access and encrypt,no worries i've got the router now.
 :)
Ta

Simon