Author Topic: More problems  (Read 2572 times)

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
More problems
« on: May 26, 2010, 04:36:08 pm »
Here's my new list of problems:

1 - Software RAID doesn't work. Using the admin page I get as far as telling it to create the array and I get the "degraded, rebuilding" message, then when I leave the page it says it's failed. I've tried with all the drives formatted to ext2, all the drives bare and ticking the spare disk box for each disk. I've also tried creating a RAID 5 array using the command line (mdadm) and it just tells me "error opening /dev/md0: No such device or address"

2 - Flash drives do not appear in the manage drives section of the orbiters. I can navigate them with Dolphin and copy files into the public folder but they won't appear in MCE and as such won't show their files in the video/audio/picture browser.

3 - I have 2 DVD drives in the manage drives section, despite only having 1 drive. I put in a disc and both drives showed the album was in it.

4 - Videos are jumpy. It worked fine in 710 but now is jumpy as hell. My copmuter has 2 Radeon HD4850s so this should not be a problem (P.S. Even in 710 I couldn't get transparency to work).

5 - My thin client won't netboot. It gets so far through the boot process (the last line I see is after the attempt to connect to the yp server or something, but there are a few lines after that), then shuts down i.e. the Kubuntu splash comes back up and it does a proper shutdown, not just dying and starting again.

I can't remember if there are more but any help I can get with any of these problems are extremely welcome, this is part of a college project and I'd rather have my server workin than write a report on why it failed.

Cheers,
          Matthew Simpson

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: More problems
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 05:05:53 pm »
Hi.

You did not read the hardware requirements. NVIDIA cards are required for alpha transparency, and ATI cards have severe problems working out of the box.

Flash drives should appear as internal disks (due to the way the storage radar works..) are the thumb drives formatted as NTFS?

You can delete both Disk Drive entries from the web admin, Advanced > Configuration > Devices.. Reload the router, and let the system detect the drive again.

-Thom

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:42:06 am »
The drives are FAT32. I've never seen them appear as internal drives in 810, and I'm not sure why.

The thin client is working now, the architecture was set to amd64 instead of i386.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:25:17 pm »
Can you please file a bug at http://svn.linuxmce.org/ regarding the diskless workstation arch mismatch?

-Thom

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:19:26 pm »
Done. Should I post one about the flash drives and software RAID?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 03:28:58 pm »
sure.

-Thom