Author Topic: New system hardware questions  (Read 1948 times)

BIGDOG76

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
New system hardware questions
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:38:56 am »
Hi,

I am fairly new to linux and brand new/just getting ready to setup linuxmce.  I have been reading here and the wiki (which seems a little outdated) and I have a few questions.

I will use the system for playing local media, streaming internet media (hulu), watching OTA tv, possibly cable or sattelite subscription service, ripping dvd's, basic computing (surfing, email, etc.), security, asterix, and x10.  I am planning on building a hybrid to start and converting it to a core once setup and running.  I will  eventually have 3-4 MD's, 4-6 cctv cam's, full x10 security system, basic voip setup.

My plans for the hybrid/core are phenom ii x2 ~2.5ghz(80w 8MB total cache), 2 GB ddr2, 9500gt.  I have read one or two posts that say a dual core is not enough.  Should I go with a 4 core?  For the MD's I am thinking of dual core celeron or Athlon's ~2.5ghz, 2GB ddr2, 8400 gs.  I read that 2 core was recommended for watching hulu w/o stutter.  Will I benefit from the 9500gt in the core (hardware accel/encoding)?

I was also hoping to get some input on tv cards. I am looking at the dvico hdtv7, or the haupaugge 2250.  Any feedback on these would be appreciated.  Could I install multiple cards in the core and watch different channels on the MD's or do I need a card at each MD?

All will be wired on cat6 Gbe using the core for storage, until I can afford  a NAS setup.  I read that using a NAS device is better than storage in the core, advice on that is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

Thanks,

Chris

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: New system hardware questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:58:46 am »
Dual core will be fine, even a low-end dual core will suffice. Graphics card should be fine (it's nVidia).

I've used both the Kworld 599Us and Hauppauge Nova-T-500 TV tuners (they are both dual-tuners) and have been very pleased with them (I'm in the UK, check these tuners are appropriate for wherever you are).

Note that there is a slight issue with the Nova-T-500 in that it doesn't like "warm restarts" (search forum for details), but this is a minor issue. I have the kworld 599s installed at the moment, but I will be reverting back to the Nova-T-500s soon.

And welcome!
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps