Author Topic: [Solved]Cant access files all of the sudden!  (Read 6355 times)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
[Solved]Cant access files all of the sudden!
« on: May 24, 2010, 06:21:49 pm »
So this morning, im trying to access my resume's stored on the core. And I cant. From any system in the house. Or anything stored under my specific user or anything at all. These files still appear to be there because i can browse to them via the webadmin. I seriously need help on this because pretty much anything useful to me is stored there and now its completely inaccessible except to make sure its still there. The only major system change i've made was to try and fix mythtv...which im regretting now.

suggestion or anything would really be helpful because right now i dont even know how im going to try and get what i need.

golgoj4
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:25:30 am by golgoj4 »
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Cant access files all of the sudden!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:49:36 pm »
bump...anyone have any ideas? everyone in my house is locked out of their files and this is becoming a serious problem.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:59:41 pm »
So this morning, im trying to access my resume's stored on the core. And I cant. From any system in the house. Or anything stored under my specific user or anything at all. These files still appear to be there because i can browse to them via the webadmin. I seriously need help on this because pretty much anything useful to me is stored there and now its completely inaccessible except to make sure its still there. The only major system change i've made was to try and fix mythtv...which im regretting now.

suggestion or anything would really be helpful because right now i dont even know how im going to try and get what i need.

golgoj4

Can you not access the files over the \\dcerouter ?

-Thom

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:18:33 pm »

golgoj4

-Thom

I could access everything that wasnt on a storage device. anything that was stored like \\dcerouter\public\videos\<deviceno> was not accessible.

i just said fuck it and popped in my 710 install and i can access everything now.  :-\

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00:52 am »
After the apt-dist-upgrade, kde, myth and a lot of libraries were updated and i still have access to all the files.
Could you please check samba and network settings?

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:53:42 am »
After the apt-dist-upgrade, kde, myth and a lot of libraries were updated and i still have access to all the files.
Could you please check samba and network settings?

Nothing on the network got changed. Like i said, the ONLY change was updating. Not a single connection or setting. Same from every windows and linux box on the network.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:04:20 am »
Ok, it was the only thing that came in mind.... network or file/diretories permissions (samba related) - after update.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 01:59:02 am »
Ok, it was the only thing that came in mind.... network or file/diretories permissions (samba related) - after update.

the only thing i can come up with is that i fucked something up when trying to upgrade. so when i find my dvd, ill just reinstall.

im sure happy i held onto my 7.10 hard drive...

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 04:48:31 am »

golgoj4

-Thom

I could access everything that wasnt on a storage device. anything that was stored like \\dcerouter\public\videos\<deviceno> was not accessible.

i just said fuck it and popped in my 710 install and i can access everything now.  :-\

Sounds like this is your problem (and fix)?:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9873.msg68125#msg68125

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 05:17:31 am »

golgoj4

-Thom

thanks! apparently i to learn to search better. I completly missed this thread trying to figure out the problem. will give it a go. thx.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 05:25:05 am »

golgoj4

-Thom

thanks! apparently i to learn to search better. I completly missed this thread trying to figure out the problem. will give it a go. thx.

sweet! thank you it worked. all i needed to do was

Code: [Select]
apt-get install samba=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3 samba-common=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3  libsmbclient=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3 libwbclient0=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3  smbclient=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3 smbfs=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3
-golgoj4

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved]Cant access files all of the sudden!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:50:15 am »
Actually I think the fix Zaerc noted might be better?:
<snip>.... so try changing unix extensions = yes to unix extensions = no in the /etc/samba/smb.conf  config file.  If that fixes it, don't forget to update the template in /usr/pluto/templates/smb.conf.template  as well.

This way you get to keep the current version of samba etc. At least that worked for me some time ago... Otherwise each time you update you may get the issue again...

Cheers,
WR.