Author Topic: Installation problems, nothing boots up  (Read 3620 times)

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Installation problems, nothing boots up
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:31:57 pm »
Hi, I've installed Kubuntu 8.10 and updated the packages before my LinuxMCE install but some packages are missing. Furthermore, when i installed LinuxMCE using the desktop icon, serveral packages were skipped again. Then, when I restarted to open the AV Wizard, i got an error about a resume file not being found. The AV Wizard did start, but in the corner of the screen. Once I'd finished it, I was left on the original resume file screen. I can use Alt+F2 to start the X Server and load the desktop but not much is working in terms of MCE.

P.S. Every time I load the desktop I have to open the terminal and type:
sudo -s (then type in my password)
ifup eth0

so that I can get the network connection working. I had to remove NetworkManager from the startup to get the connection working in the first place.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Installation problems, nothing boots up
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:18:41 pm »
Did you install with the "Install LinuxMCE" boot option?

-Thom

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:02 am »
Yes, hence the icon on the desktop.

EDIT: Can I install LinuxMCE on top of Kubuntu 10.4? Maybe if I use a moer up to date vesion of Kubuntu I can get everything to download properly before installation.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:24:44 am by typhoon_2099 »

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:32:53 am »
Yes, hence the icon on the desktop.

EDIT: Can I install LinuxMCE on top of Kubuntu 10.4? Maybe if I use a moer up to date vesion of Kubuntu I can get everything to download properly before installation.

I don't think that is a very good idea.

Are you using the latest snapshot?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:20:54 am »
I downloaded the 8.10 DVD version. Everything works fine until I try apt-get update. Everything downloads fine except for Packages.bz2, which fails due to a hash sum mismatch. I'm starting to think it's this file that fails to download that's screwing up the rest of the LinuxMCE install.

EDIT: It's an older version of 8.10, I just assumed that the update would bring me up to the latest version. I'll download the latest DVD and try again (at college so it's going at 3.8MB/s, yay!).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:26:54 am by typhoon_2099 »

pyrilampes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:35:47 am »
You might want to restart your download. I noticed they have a new iso out on the snapshots just this afternoon that looks 100mb larger. I am trying to download it now.

DeathMagnetic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:06:05 am »
The problem was the sources.list file being outdated. I downloaded the latest DVD install at the time and the updates have been fine. I'd probably have been ok just updating the sources.list file manually but I'm still learning the intricacies of linux so I didn't want to break anything.

P.S. The DVD was on my desktop in 12 minutes so i'm not too bothered if it needs downloading again.