Author Topic: Health and performance checks  (Read 4434 times)

THEVILLAIN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Health and performance checks
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:21:49 pm »
Here are some of the tools I use to get health status and current performance of MD's or core system's.  Feel free to add to it, then someone can add it to the wiki later.

# sudo apt-get install sysstat iftop lm-senors

here is a quick way to install lm-sensors to get temperature readings.
Answering with defaults works most of the time and then check that modules get loaded properly in /etc/modules. hint: use lsmod and modprobe.
# sensors-detect

You can see disk, paging, basic cpu performance, and temperature every 30s with this alias
# alias sysperf='watch -n 30 '\''iostat -kx && vmstat && sensors'\'''

Then just type this to see it all in action.
# sysperf

During heavy MD usage such as playing x264 mkv with high-quality sound such as DTS or DD 5.1, I watch the bandwidth from the MD via ssh with
# iftop -nNB

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Health and performance checks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »
Did you mean to type

# sudo apt-get install sysstat iftop lm-sensors

I got the following error:

E: Couldn't find package lm-senors

I changed senors to sensors and it appeared to work.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:41:22 pm »
yup!! that worked for me.  This is bad ass. I was just thinking last night that it would be usefull to have this information.  I thought my core was running low on ram but i see now that it's doing okay.

Thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 08:44:30 am »
I have a programming task for you guys,

Somebody add some events for alarms in the database, and create some DCE devices to query the lm sensors, and emit events, so that we can respond to them.

-Thom

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:38:22 pm »
I would love to do this but I still having gotten my nas working with this system.  I already don't have much time to play with this thing so the little time i do have is spent trying to get the nas working.  If you help me get my nas working I'll be more than happy to look at this request.  Since I've been in the habit of ripping every cd and dvd I acquire for some time now lmce is almost useless to me with out my nas. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:51:52 pm »
Dude, you use the system completely outside a supported method, AND YOU WONDER WHY YOUR NAS doesn't work?

Since YOU know how your network works, YOU have the chops needed to shove LMCE into your extra special supported configuration.

Fine, go ahead, call me an asshole, give me a hug, whatever. You completely misunderstand where my "anger" comes from. It comes from people like you who think they know better, YET, when push comes to shove, they don't want to contribute back to make the system actually support their special configuration... ergo. I do not have time..for you.

later.

-Thom

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:57:51 pm »
Thom, have you ever heard the saying "don't make an ass out of yourself by assuming"?  Well it's something like that, and i guess that makes you an ass. I basically dismantled my windows domain to get this working.  My family is bothered because services are currently unavailable.  My plan was to do it the supported way then add my way on top of it, if something breaks I'll know what caused it and hopefully be able to work around or fix it.  unfortunately for me i can't just blow away my nas and use freenas (which by the way is an inferior product to openfiler) because I'll risk losing my data.  Since we're on that topic, does lmce connect to freenas or any of the other "supported" storage devices on a code level? if it does then I'm sorry.  Seeing as how some of the "supported" nas devices are commercially available i doubt that it does.  Plus, and this is the weirdest part, lmce wont even use itself properly.  It wont create the folder structure on it's own internally connected hard drive.  I think i have a bigger problem that goes beyond using "unsupported methods".  My setup is currently configured the way it's described in the wikki and it still doesn't work.  The saddest part is you can probably help me figure this out but you're to busy acting like a baby and making assumptions to do it. 

I do try to help out around here.  I'm on the forum making educated guesses where i can and supply information based on my knowledge.  I also have a great write up on how my system is designed because as i mentioned a few weeks ago, I document EVERYTHING!  Hell, I corrected the typo in this thread and confirmed that it works, which is probably wasted since you thread jacked it with BS accusations.  Just like this request, how can you expect me to contribute more when my base system still doesn't work and i have you bitching an moaning about special configurations that doesn't exists instead of helping?  It's obvious you know this system pretty well but with your attitude it's a damn shame!!  You should really get down off your high horse and join the rest of the world or maybe you really do need a hug, to bad you wont get it with that attitude. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 11:12:15 pm »
No, we don't connect on a code level to any NAS.

We simply use Samba to connect to the target NAS, with a Samba Storage Radar which scans for shares, and connects to them.

The relevant code that makes it work is in src/PlutoStorageDevices, in our SVN, if you want to take a look.

-Thom

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 11:30:34 pm »
klovell,
Can you describe your NAS setup?? I need to add more storage to my system, I'll try to help you out here, I went through this before with Dlink & Promise Tech.
Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:07:05 am »
I was certain that lmce simply connects to a share and didn't change any code on the nas.  That makes it all the weirder that it doesn't work. 

ccoudsi, if you want to help I would greatly appreciate it and I would be more than happy to help you add more storage to your system if i can.  I've used and built my fair share of storage servers.  I don't think this is the appropriate thread though.  I already have a thread going herehttp://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10059.0.  I'll post what I'm using and how it's setup tonight or tomorrow.  I'm at a clients site right now and I'll probably be here pretty late.  Thank!!

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 05:54:57 pm »
I have a programming task for you guys,

Somebody add some events for alarms in the database, and create some DCE devices to query the lm sensors, and emit events, so that we can respond to them.

-Thom

This would be a great project.  Might attract more attention as a programming task on the developer board.