Author Topic: can't play media files  (Read 4887 times)

shazil

• View Profile
can't play media files
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:29:54 pm »
Hi,

I am a newbie to LMCE but to not to Linux.

I have finally installed 0810 b2 after many attempts. Now I have the following man issues:
1. When ever I try to play a media file, whether it is audio or video, I get the following message: "I can not play this media. Perhaps there is not valid device in this entertainment area to play it"
I have looked up the forum several times but couldn't find any issue resembles mine (at least not for 0801).

2. I have NTFS partition with mostly all my media on it. How can I get LMCE to recognize it?

I would much appreciate some help here. I would be so happy to see this thing work for a change  ;)

Shazil

THEVILLAIN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: can't play media files
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:02:01 pm »

1.   whats's the media and what video drivers are you using ?

2.   What's the mount command you are using ?

shazil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:12:41 pm »
Hi,

The video drivers are nvidia 195 (don't remember the excat one) and I am trying to play .avi files coded as divx or xvid and also mp3 files.

When I use xine though KDE it works fine and I can see the movies. As for the audio I can here it only when I run xine as root from KDE.

Mounting ntfs patition works well but I read somewhere in the forums that you shouldn't do that with LMCE. So I dismounted it and waited for LMCE to find it, but it didn't.

Hope I answered your questions.

Thanks for the reply and help.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:25:58 pm »
What is the partition you are having problems with? is it a drive in the system or a partition of a drive that is mounted or a different machine on the Network?

If LMCE found this initially did you tell LMCE to ignore it?  if so it may be in web admin under Advanced > Configuration > unknown devices.  If you can find it in there and unlock it LMCE will find it again.

You are correct you should let LMCE mount and unmount your drives and never do it manually.

shazil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:28:39 pm »
What is the partition you are having problems with? is it a drive in the system or a partition of a drive that is mounted or a different machine on the Network?

If LinuxMCE found this initially did you tell LinuxMCE to ignore it?  if so it may be in web admin under Advanced > Configuration > unknown devices.  If you can find it in there and unlock it LinuxMCE will find it again.

You are correct you should let LinuxMCE mount and unmount your drives and never do it manually.

I have one partition /dev/sda1 where LinuxMCE resides on and another /dev/sda2 which is NTFS and all my media files are there. LinuxMCE did not find the partition in the first place nor is in the unknown devices.

How can I make it rediscover it?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:39:26 am by shazil »

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:16:19 am »
LinuxMCE discovers all internal partitions, USB drives or network shares automatically. As result it offers a choice to use it or skip (you should see the dialog on the Orbiter's screen). If you chose skip then the drive is added to the unknown devices list. You may access it via admin interface - Advanced --> Configuration --> Unknown Devices and unlock desired one to re-discover it again. And sure the partition should be mounted manually or added to the fstab.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

shazil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:21:22 am »
LinuxMCE discovers all internal partitions, USB drives or network shares automatically. As result it offers a choice to use it or skip (you should see the dialog on the Orbiter's screen). If you chose skip then the drive is added to the unknown devices list. You may access it via admin interface - Advanced --> Configuration --> Unknown Devices and unlock desired one to re-discover it again. And sure the partition should be mounted manually or added to the fstab.

The device (/dev/sda2) is not on the Unknown Devices. I've checked it more then once. Only /dev/sda1 which is LMCE partition.

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:15:49 am »
The device (/dev/sda2) is not on the Unknown Devices. I've checked it more then once. Only /dev/sda1 which is LinuxMCE partition.

Check also table PnpQueue in the pluto_main. There are two fields you may interested in: Processed and Removed. To re-discover my USB HDD I just removed all its records from that table. Be careful with that. Better to make backup db and table!
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

shazil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:51 am »
The device (/dev/sda2) is not on the Unknown Devices. I've checked it more then once. Only /dev/sda1 which is LinuxMCE partition.

Check also table PnpQueue in the pluto_main. There are two fields you may interested in: Processed and Removed. To re-discover my USB HDD I just removed all its records from that table. Be careful with that. Better to make backup db and table!

Thanks I will try that and let you know how it goes :)

shazil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:54:15 am »

Thanks I will try that and let you know how it goes :)

Sorry for the late post....I've check the table and coudldn't find anything unusual with it not any record of the NTFS partiotion. Any Other suggestions?

Other about the problem I have with playing media files? Could anyone please help me with that?

JoakimL

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 08:19:57 pm »
I have the same problem and I believe it can have something to do with the version of the NTFS filesystem. When I do a fdisk -l it shows up as type SFS, not NTFS as in Windows. It seems to have something to do with dynamic disks. I don't yet know how to deal with it.

Your second problem also occurs on my rig now and then. It won't play any media, but simply restarting the OS fixes that for a while. No idea yet how to solve that either.