Author Topic: Wake on Lan (Wake on Trash)  (Read 5105 times)

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Wake on Lan (Wake on Trash)
« on: May 07, 2010, 03:28:27 am »
I have a Windows 7 PC on my internal network that is setup to wake on magic packet. It's waking up on its own (i.e when I don't want it to).

If I turn off the CORE, this behavior stops, suggesting the CORE is waking it up somehow or for some reason. Anyone know how I can fix this?

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Wake on Lan (Wake on Trash)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:43:06 am »
Wake on lan is more than "just wake up on receiving a packet". You can define what types of packages it should wake up on. Maybe your windows computer is set to wake up on any network traffic?

br,
sambuca

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:39:48 am »
Look in the BIOS (on the Windoze 7 computer), there should be an option to turn off WOL.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »
Thanks guys.

Purps:

I do actually want this PC to wake on lan, just only when I explicitly tell it to.

Sambuca:

I configured the advanced adapter properties to wake only on magic packet (which as I understand it should theoretically require a packet with the device's MAC address in it). Why would the CORE be sending magic packets to this PC on its own (it's not a MD or anything else that the core should be trying to control).

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:08:50 pm »
I've found that my first md always wakes on lan whenever the core restarts but the second md never does. Their bios settings are identical and they are both acer revos (one single, one dual core).

Barney

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:52:57 pm »
There must be an MD entry for that system in the device tree.  Look in the web admin.

The DCERouter wakes all MDs every time it is reloaded, I believe.  You can watch the DCERouter.log file - the command is "General Info Plug-in: Wake Device", I believe.  (It is not the "Power On" command on the MD - that doesn't work, since you can't send a command to a computer that isn't running...)

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 06:00:40 pm »
how long was the core off for?  What is the wake up pattern of the PC?  I only ask because i have 2 windows 7 and 1 vista laptop plus a windows 7 pc that i acquired before building my lmce core and those computers did the same thing.  They would sporadically wake up so I was never able to pin point a pattern.  I ended up turning off the "allow this device to wake the computer" settings for my usb and lan.  The PC and a laptop was being woken by a USB device, one laptop just kind of fix itself so it was probably a program or a schedule task and the other laptop was being woken by the docking station but it was only when the lan was connected.  It wouldn't wake up on it's own with the cat plugged directly into the laptop.  My main point is make sure it's not the pc itself before you go trouble shooting the core.  This is just a small history, I've always had problems with vista and 7 waking the computer.  I only cared and noticed with the laptops because I'd open my computer bag to find a very hot or dead (battery) computer.  It's to the point where I take my laptop out of my bag every night even if i don't plan on working at home.  I've walked out of the house with so many dead batteries that I have an extra charger in my bag, some businesses i frequently visit and a 12volt charger for the cigarette lighter in each car.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 06:09:23 pm »
klovell - this is not the same as the wake over LAN feature.  Wake over LAN (WOL) is a hardware feature that allows devices to be turned on from a completely powered down state when they receive a "magic packet" targeted at the correct physical (MAC) address.

The feature you're describing is resuming the system from standby based on some event - whether it be a USB device - like a mouse being shaken - or a network device - like a request for a file.  The key difference is that the device is powered up, and can respond to more than just the "magic packet".

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 06:47:29 pm »
klovell - this is not the same as the wake over LAN feature.  Wake over LAN (WOL) is a hardware feature that allows devices to be turned on from a completely powered down state when they receive a "magic packet" targeted at the correct physical (MAC) address.

The feature you're describing is resuming the system from standby based on some event - whether it be a USB device - like a mouse being shaken - or a network device - like a request for a file.  The key difference is that the device is powered up, and can respond to more than just the "magic packet".

I am aware of what wol is and how it works.  I don't know this guy and i don't know if he knows what wol is and how it works.  I do know that microsoft smartened up and windows 7 goes to sleep by default instead of shutting down.  I'm assuming that's how they're posting such awesome boot time numbers... although from a cold boot it's still pretty bad ass (roughly 25 secs on my slowest laptop).  If he didn't know any better he'd think his computer was off when it was really sleeping.  Then it's doing exactly what mine is and it's not a wol packet but lan traffic or usb signals.  He didn't mention what kind of computer he's using, I can show you a computer right now that looks exactly the same when it's sleeping and when it's off. 

Even though Dave sounds knowledgeable on the matter in a subsequent post the initial post is pretty vague and IMO, with the information given, I’m not convinced it’s the core.  I’m sorry, in my line of work I’m just conditioned to think people are using words and phrases that does not belong.  I can’t count how many times I’ve said over the phone type this in the address bar, and the response I get is “It took me to Google”.   Or people not knowing the difference between the Internet and an Intranet.  Since I had/have a similar problem and the post is vague I figured I’d though it out there.   

I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions Dave and this isn’t an attack Jimbo.  If Dave is certain his computer is off, forget I said anything. 

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 08:44:16 pm »
I've found that my first md always wakes on lan whenever the core restarts but the second md never does. Their bios settings are identical and they are both acer revos (one single, one dual core).

Barney
It certainly possible that the NIC or the NIC driver in your second MD does not support WOL (or does not work), while your Win machine (NIC and driver) supports it.

I know for a fact that there are some NIC drivers in LMCE's kernel that has problems with WOL.

br,
sambuca

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:38:07 pm »
Klovell,

Sorry for being vague. My problem is experienced when the computer sleeps or is powered off. Ultimately I'd like my computer to sleep and remain asleep unless sent a magic packet or woken via mouse/keyboard (if possible), but the first step is getting it to stay off when powered off completely.

I turned the core and PC off overnight, and both remained off the next morning. This same test I performed with the core on and resulted in the PC being on in the morning, though I still haven't looked at the logs to figure out what time it woke (how long it stayed off for).

Regards,

Dave

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 10:42:37 pm »
Look in the device tree.  You may have accidentally added an MD entry for that system which would cause it to wake up if the router is reloaded.  Why the router would reload overnight is a separate issue...