Author Topic: Local LinuxMCE users... and wiring consultant...  (Read 2102 times)

mfeferman

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Local LinuxMCE users... and wiring consultant...
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:48:22 pm »
I'm very interested in seeing a local LinuxMCE install.  I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way...
I'm in Houston.  Is there anyone who would be willing to let me comeover to take a look at their setup?  Also, I'm looking for someone who can help me take into consideration wiring needs for a new house while thinking about LinuxMCE capabilies, etc...

Thoughts?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
mark at 'remove this' nsecurity dot com

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Local LinuxMCE users... and wiring consultant...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:16:53 pm »
I'm very interested in seeing a local LinuxMCE install.  I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way...
I'm in Houston.  Is there anyone who would be willing to let me comeover to take a look at their setup?  Also, I'm looking for someone who can help me take into consideration wiring needs for a new house while thinking about LinuxMCE capabilies, etc...

Thoughts?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

I am not in Houston.

However, if you post your question Im more than happy to try and help ya figure out any questions, like most of the community. All you need to do is ask :)

Off the top of my head, I would say in relation to electrical related matters:

-Make sure heavy loads for the kitchen and bathroom and on separate circuits (cuts down on interference for powerline communications for x10, insteon) This is generally a best practice, but I still come across new homes wired incorrectly.

-Try and decide what automation technology you plan to use. This will make a difference when you get to installing the switches as x10 only requires hot, but insteon and zwave require a neutral lead as well. This way, your electrician has an idea of how things need to be wired.

-Use a central distribution panel for wired lan, ptsn phones (if u have them) and your cable setup. This is how I normally do things for folks unless they want to centralize cable boxes somewhere else. The benefit of this is that everything is centralized in a neat fashion and it makes upgrades or changes a LOT easier .

-depending on what your needing as far as media to each room, i would run at a minimum
*1 cat-6 line for network
*1 cat 6 line for analog phone, ir
*2 x rg6 for connections to the cable / sat box (if needed)
Plus anything else you may want need. Also consider placement of furniture in the room. You may want to locate things in different locations or add 2 connections to the same room on opposing sides.
*feel like im brain farting and leaving something out ;)

Lastly, consider outdoors as well. Cameras, remote buzzers for doors, irrigation, landscape. Even if you just leave the stubs in a location so you can expand more later, it makes sense to at least prepare to an extent. With the cost of wire, its cheaper to install it and leave it disconnected until you want to use it.

-hth
golgoj4

Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Local LinuxMCE users... and wiring consultant...
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:38:40 am »

Thoughts?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Your very welcome to come and see our demo systems any time...but unfortunately we are in the UK in the London area and nowhere near Houston :-(

In the meantime you could checkout this great Youtube video clip kindly created by Forum member & Dianemo customer, mardibloke, shows Dianemo/Cascade in action - demonstrating the Nokia N810 Orbiter being used to control ZWave lighting, TV, DVD's, MP3's and security cameras; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMo5hBjEihY

At least the mardibloke's video will give you a good impression of the overall system...also on YouTube you will find other videos about specific parts of the system...do a search there and lookout in particular for those by Thom Cherryhomes (he is one of the key Dev's on the project)

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk