Author Topic: [SOLVED] Acer Revo 1080p with 810?  (Read 9949 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Acer Revo 1080p with 810?
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:43:01 pm »
I am having problems with my acer revo atom 230 (single core) md at 1080p.

This machine should be capable of 1080p shouldn't it? I have vdpau enabled and cpu usage is very low but I'm getting freezing and sometimes audio but no video.

Anyone else seen this?
Barney
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:28:46 pm by b4rney »

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Acer Revo 1080p with 810?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:15:08 pm »
Yes, I have mine pushing 1080p at 60 hz to my 46" tv.  Only trouble I am having is getting the audio over hdmi to work.  I have tried unmuting as per the wiki, but no luck.   At any rate- no flickering or tearing on mine. 

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:57:02 pm »
Thanks huh. Is your revo the single core or the newer dual core version? I have both but only the single core is giving me problems.

Audio over hdmi is working for me in 810. I selected hdmi2 in the av wizard and hdmi audio. My dual core needed the alsamixer unmute fix but my single core worked straight away.

Barney

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:24:39 pm »
Hmm....  Very interesting. Will try hdmi 2 tonight.  I have the single core variety.  Btw- not sure if it matters, but I'm running an almost fully updated system.  I've had beta 2 installed since feb or so and just done the apt-get update/upgrade.  I have not applied the latest 2 updates per the wiki and I have not tried a snapshot.  Fwiw

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:36:12 pm »
Good luck huh, hope you get it working.

My system is up to date with apt-get.
I have reverted to 720p which is more stable. Still frustrating with such a supposedly good graphics chipset. Must be to do with my system.
Thanks
Barney

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 05:31:44 am »
OK- I redid the audio/video wizard and selected HDMI 2, 1080p and 60 hz over a HDMI cable to my 46" Sony Bravia.

On my setup, dvd's play without a hitch.  No lag, no tearing, no frame drops.  Everything plays as smooth as I could hope- everything, that is, except the audio.  Although I managed to break the laws of physics by losing my remote in a closed system...  the mass of my remote is no longer within my closed system bubble- at least not that I can find.

I check the bios settings and disable acpi and I ran alsamixer from a putty terminal to confirm that IEC958, IEC958 D and IEC958 1 were not muted.  What I find odd is that while the other channels (mic, CD, line, center, etc) have volume slider bars, these do not exist for the IEC958s.  The only option for the IEC958s are infinity and "MM".  B4rney, do you have the same?

And, for what it's worth, here is a screenshot from the webadmin:

http://imgur.com/DRtrb

I tried unchecking the AC3/DTS passthrough and using vdpau as the hardware acceleration- after making these changes, rebooting the revo and doing a complete reload/regen of the entire system, I saw no changes.  Media played as before (didn't test mythtv).

As a side note- from a completely off state, to a functional UI (menu completely loaded) over a 100bit network, it took 2 min and 38.4 seconds.  And, from the time I pressed "restart" from a different orbiter to again to the same functional UI took 2 min and 51.3 seconds.  The only non-standard items I have on the system is Hulu and a gyration remote and nothing failed to start on either restart.  Well, turning off ACPI caused the system to 'halt' on shutdown, it did not shut itself off.  After turning it back on and timing the shut down time (pressing "Power OFF m/d" from a separate orbiter) yielded a shutdown time (time ended when the power light on the revo shut off) of 17.1 seconds.

FWIW

edit: now with url tags rather than img tags for link... 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:40:52 am by huh »

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 12:19:13 pm »
My md looks identical .... and yes there are no sliders for the digital inputs in alsamixer just muted or not.

Underneath your screenshot, my settings are:
Sound card: standard sound card
Video card: GeForce or TNT2
Audio settings: HDMI
Use AC3/DTS pass-through: Yes

And beneath that:
Hardware acceleration: vdpau
Deinterlace quality: Higher

Don't think amd64/i386 makes any difference. I have two revos running a version of each with no hdmi sound problems.

Have you tried a different hdmi lead? Have you tried rebuilding or deleting and starting again?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 03:44:16 pm »
b4rnet - are your video problems in Myth or any time you play video?  On my single core ION (HP mini 311) I was having all kinds of performance, pause, freeze issues.  Last night I resolved them by going into tv playback setup and selecting Enable Extra Audio Buffering and Disable Real Time Priority.  This is with vdpau already enabled both in web admin and the Myth tv playback setup. 

I have yet to get video working over HDMI.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 04:06:28 pm »
@skeptic
My issues are with video playback. Mythtv is fine with vdpau acceleration in web admin and vdpau set in mythtv frontend.

Specifically, sound but no video when playing dvds, recorded tv, avis atc. This behaviour is intermittent. Xine is being used to play these videos and 'top' shows very little cpu usage. I'm baffled.

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:15:06 am »
I am curious..what are your settings for vdpau in mythtv?

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 01:26:01 am »
I go into mythtv frontend playback settings and find the video settings. There are several different resolutions to set the hardware acceleration. I set them all to vdpau.

Hope this helps.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 02:18:40 am »

I tried unchecking the AC3/DTS passthrough and using vdpau as the hardware acceleration- after making these changes, rebooting the revo and doing a complete reload/regen of the entire system, I saw no changes.  Media played as before (didn't test mythtv).

Webadmin -> Media director
Sound Card - Standard Sound Card
Audio settings - Manual Settings
Use AC3/DTS pass-through - unchecked

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 07:50:23 pm »
Specifically, sound but no video when playing dvds, recorded tv, avis atc. This behaviour is intermittent. Xine is being used to play these videos and 'top' shows very little cpu usage. I'm baffled.

Does it work if you use VGA instead of HDMI?  Is it possible it could be something to do with HDCP between the TV and the MD.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 11:01:13 am »
@Techstyle
I doubt it. My dual core revo plays all the same files at 1080p just fine.

Have now set the single core to run at 720p and it works. I am frustrated because it should run at 1080p. I'll keep experimenting and report back if I discover anything new.
Barney

TonyBryan

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 12:44:51 pm »
I have mine (dual core) working at 1080p for a couple of weeks now, with no problem on video playback.  I didn't have to do anything special to get it working.

As regards HDMI audio, this really gave me a hassle for a few hours.  I did many things and I'm not really sure which one worked, but try these:
1.  Mute all of the IEC958 - this is the SPDIF output, and I had a theory that maybe despite selecting HDMI out it was really using SPDIF.
2.  Add users to the 'audio' group.  This was definitely necessary to get any sound out on the KDE desktop, but I'm not sure if it had any effect on LMCE.