Author Topic: ZOTAC ZBOX HD-ID11-U  (Read 34337 times)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: ZOTAC ZBOX HD-ID11-U
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 10:18:36 am »
(these steps are assuming that your core doesn't need the r8169 driver

First, go to realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#2 and download the 8.020.00 driver source (dated 11/15/2010). Then transfer this file to / on your core.
 (or, use wget on the core directly to download the file, I found it hosted on google code:
wget r8168.googlecode.com/files/r8168-8.020.00.tar.bz2)

Next, ssh into the core:
- Become super user
Code: [Select]
sudo su
Check whether the built-in driver, r8169.ko is installed.
lsmod | grep r8169
If it is installed (the command above will give you an indication), you will have to follow the r8168 wiki to download the kernel sources and apply a patch. Otherwise, continue on...

- Lets go to the driver source you placed in /
cd /

- Extract the sources, then cd into the source folder
tar -jxf r8168-8.020.00.tar.bz2
cd r8168-8.020.00

- Compile the sources
makeThe makefile SHOULD automatically put the driver file in the right place:
/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko
if not, copy it over yourself:
cp ./r8168.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko

- Install the driver module
add a new line at the bottom of /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/modules, then save:
vim /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/modulesadd the following line at the bottom:
r8168then exit vim (:wq)

- Remove the r8169 module, we won't need it
rm /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8169.ko

make install
depmod -a
modprobe r8168

- Make the MD ramdisk boot image
/usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh

Now you should be able to boot the MD - you'll know its working when you see "We have announced ourselves to the router" and the diskless setup runs (you should also at this time see a new Media Director in the web admin).
When the diskless setup is finished, the MD will reboot - but again it will fail with a kernel panic (the new diskless filesystem does not yet have the r8168 module, so lets fix that by copying it over from the root file system)...

cp /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko /usr/pluto/diskless/<MD#>/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko(make sure you replace <MD#> with the device number of your new MD - you can see this in the web admin)
(also note that your kernel version in the path could be different, change it as needed for your installation)

You need to activate the module in 2 places now, using vim:
vim /usr/pluto/diskless/<MD#>/etc/modulesand
vim /usr/pluto/diskless/<MD#>/etc/initramfs-tools/modules(Again, replace <MD#> with your actual MD device number)
add the following to the end of both above files:
r8168
-And also remove the r8169 driver from the MD's boot files
rm /usr/pluto/diskless/<MD#>/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko
Now just recreate the ramdisk IN THE MD (via chroot)
cd /usr/pluto/diskless/
chroot <MD#>
depmod
cd /boot
mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-`uname -r` `uname -r`
exit

Finally, lets clean up our mess from building the driver:
rm -r /r8168-8.020.00
rm /r8168-8.020.00.tar.bz2

Now reboot, and you should come up to the A/V wizard and you're done
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:00:32 pm by jondecker76 »

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 04:56:41 pm »
Jon,

let me know if you are seeing the screen saver freeze issue that I am seeing on my Zotac's. If playing music, the screen saver will freeze at the end of a song. I have to hit the menu button on the remote and then the back button to resume the screen saver, and then it freezes again at the end of the next song. I am only seeing this issue on my ZOTAC MD's.

Thanks,
Kevin

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 06:10:39 pm »
(these steps are assuming that your core doesn't need the r8169 driver

First, go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#2 and download the 8.020.00 driver source (dated 11/15/2010). Then transfer this file to / on your core.

Next, ssh into the core:
- Become super user
sudo su
Check whether the built-in driver, r8169.ko is installed.
lsmod | grep r8169

If it is installed (the command above will give you an indication), you will have to follow the r8168 wiki to download the kernel sources and apply a patch. Otherwise, continue on...

- Lets go to the driver source you placed in /
cd /

- Extract the sources, then cd into the source folder
tar -jxf r8168-8.020.00.tar.bz2
cd r8168-8.020.00

- Compile the sources
make
- Install the driver module
add a new line at the bottom of /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/modules, then save:
vim /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/modulesadd the following line at the bottom:
r8168then exit vim (:wq)

make install
depmod -a
modprobe r8168

- Make the MD ramdisk boot image
/usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh

Now you should be able to boot the MD - you'll know its working when you see "We have announced ourselves to the router" and the diskless setup runs (you should also at this time see a new Media Director in the web admin).
When the diskless setup is finished, the MD will reboot - but again it will fail with a kernel panic (the new diskless filesystem does not yet have the r8168 module, so lets fix that)...

cp /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko /usr/pluto/diskless/<MD#>/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/r8168.ko(make sure you replace <MD#> with the device number of your new MD - you can see this in the web admin)
(also note that your kernel version in the path could be different, change it as needed for your installation)

You need to activate the module in 2 places now, using vim:
vim /usr/pluto/diskless/<MD#>/etc/modulesand
vim /usr/pluto/diskless/<MD#>/etc/initramfs-tools/modules(Again, replace <MD#> with your actual MD device number)
add the following to the end of both above files:
r8168
Now just recreate the ramdisk IN THE MD (via chroot)
cd /usr/pluto/diskless/
chroot <MD#>
depmod
cd /boot
mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-`uname -r` `uname -r`
exit

Finally, lets clean up our mess from building the driver:
rm -r /r8168-8.020.00
rm /r8168-8.020.00.tar.bz2

Now reboot, and you should come up to the A/V wizard and you're done

Thank you so much,, I am actually printing out your post for my all good reference,, how ever lets assume that I have r8169 module installed already on my core, Again,, on the wiki following line I dont seem to understand,

This part is only required if you actually need the r8169 to be in the kernel at the same time as the new r8168 module. You may not need this if your MD has only one r8168 compatible NIC. If so, just move the r8169.ko file out of /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ prior to generating the new initrd.mg file, and that module will not be included in the new image.

Also,, hacking the r8169 instructions,, all need to be as super user?

let me know,, Agains thanks a lot.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 07:20:55 pm »
For the Zotac ZBOX you do not need the r8169 module. You only need the new one you created r8168.ko. So in /usr/pluto/diskless/<MD#>/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ you can remove or rename the r8169.ko file.

Yes you will need to be super user.

Sigg3.net

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:13 pm »
Are you using the barebones version (only adding RAM) or do you have a harddisk in them?

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 11:18:53 pm »
No need for hard disk

Media directors PXE boot

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Sigg3.net

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 11:24:28 pm »
That's what I thought. How much RAM do you need if you have the Nvidia GPU?

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 11:28:42 pm »
What about the noise? I was under impression that it doesn't have any fans at all.

Also I'm interesting to know is it possible to power on that box from wireless keyboard?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:17:42 pm by nite_man »
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

mhorst

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 01:34:46 pm »
Got mine working, thought I'd share.

The instructions from jondecker76 work to get the network card up and running. Though the steps have to be modified to take the new the kernel version number into account.

Getting the HDMI sound working was a bit more problematic.
I updated the ALSA drivers to 1.0.23 as shown in http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2010/04/17/upgrade-alsa-1-0-23-on-ubuntu-karmic-koala-9-10/ (It says its for 9.10, but it also works on 8.10)

Then I added a sound.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d with "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2" in it.
In /etc/asound.conf I added:
pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card NVidia
  device 3
}
ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card NVidia
}
Unfortunately /usr/pluto/bin/SetupAudioVideo.sh keeps undoing my changes to asound.conf, so I edited that file and commented out any lines containing asound.conf. (Not a nice work-around, I know, I'll see if I can make a cleaner fix.)

After that alsamixer showed the HDMI output as the only default output. I unmuted it and ran "alsactl store" to save the mixer settings.

HDMI sound is now working, and is the default output, so I didn't need to change any other settings (in mythtv for example).

@nite_man: It does have a fan. It hasn't bothered me so far, but I'll see what happens once I get the unit installed in a less noisier environment (i.e. my bedroom).
@sigg3.net: I'm using 2Gb of RAM. No problems so far, but I haven't done extensive testing yet.

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 01:42:25 pm »
Nice work!

If I get time tomorrow I will give this a shot on mine.  I am planning on getting another one of these (I actually have the  ID40-U) for my living room, they work really well IMO!

Cheers
Slampt

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 03:01:07 pm »
mhorst,

how about providing a patch to SetupAudioVideo.sh to detect the board and make the modification for you?

Sigg3.net

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 08:39:17 pm »
I bought mine with 4GB, but I haven't tested it yet 'cause the parts for my core haven't arrived yet :)

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 03:46:26 am »
I have added a fan speed controller to my Zotac MD and turned the speed down as, at least the Ion 1 Zotac's, only just get too hot.