Author Topic: Eth1 only[solved]  (Read 2431 times)

ssjjpp

• View Profile
Eth1 only[solved]
« on: May 01, 2010, 03:32:12 pm »
I am trying to install 8.10B2 and notice that my onboard NIC is assigned as Eth1. The additional Asus NIC is assigned Eth0 but only Eth1 works. I can access the net etc via Eth1 and complete the apt-get finctions. At some point in the install, Eth0 becomes fuinctional (I presume the required software is downloaded during dist-upgrade??)

Anyway, my question is, is this a bad siituation? I removed the NIC and rebooted and notice the remaining onboard nic is still eth1...my installs arent working so I am seeking advice on possible causes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:38:51 am by ssjjpp »

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Eth1 only
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 05:58:44 pm »
after install either swap the nics in webadmin if needed (i'm assuming 1 of them is a gigabit and the other one is not) or just change the cables around if they are both gigabit.

eth0 should be your external connection to the internet, eth1 is the internal lmce network.

if you want to swap the interfaces in linux before installation, look for the 70-persistent-net.rules and change the nic names in there then do a /etc/init.d/networking restart and/or reboot.

Richard

ssjjpp

• View Profile
Re: Eth1 only
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:38:27 am »
Thanks Richard, question answered.