Author Topic: 810 b2 install help...[solved]  (Read 2898 times)

Harris

• View Profile
810 b2 install help...[solved]
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:35:25 pm »
please bear in mind that i'm very new to Linux, and i apologize for that...

i ran the DVD install snapshot from April the 27th, used "install LinuxMCE" (or however it was worded) made it to the KDE desktop, ran the updates, rebooted, ran the script from the desktop, then the reboot after that is where i'm having issues...

it reboots, i get the Kubuntu splash screen, then i start seeing PCIE errors (non-fatal). then the screen goes black and my monitor starts switching between "digital/analog" then goes into sleep, i read that you have to press 1 to get DVI to activiate, which i did, but it just brings the screen back to the PCIE errors and then goes back again.

anyway to recover from this? or do i have to reinstall again?

thanks.

after thought: i'm assuming the PCIE errors are referring to my video, it's just a BFG nVidia 8500 GT i believe, should i try installing the restricted driver before running the LinuxMCE script?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 05:53:10 am by Harris »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: 810 b2 install help...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:18:53 pm »
You should try the other input numbers/letters listed on the http://wiki.linuxmce.org/AVWizard page. :)

-Thom

Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:00:11 pm »
i did try 2,3,4 also, and then 6 (in different combinations), but nothing seems to change, the monitor goes to sleep, then after hitting a key(any key) a few times the monitor wakes up, a fan in the case goes on high (pretty sure it's the GPU fan), the error comes up, and the monitor goes to sleep again.

so far, nothing i can do will stop it from doing that.

thanks.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:40:09 pm »
Try the letter keys Q W and E.

-Thom

Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 04:09:11 pm »
i will try that when i get home.

thanks again.

Harris

• View Profile
Re: 810 b2 install help...[solved]
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 05:54:43 am »
the keys did nothing, and then the number keys did nothing, i ended up rebooting and running the "try to fix x sever" option and then continue to boot normally and that seems to have fixed it.

thanks.