Author Topic: single to doudle nic!!  (Read 9842 times)

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: single to doudle nic!!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 12:31:20 am »
It has an option to enable one of the Ethernet Ports as the WAN which is what I have done and connected an ethernet cable from eth1 to the Wan port.
Make this a network port, not a wan. Have all ports as lan, no dhcp, no gateway or whatever enabled.
In simple words: it shall behave as a switch with a wireless access point. All the work will be done by lmce (dhcp, routing, firewall, etc.....)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:49:23 am by pw44 »

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 12:40:46 am »
If your router, or any other device on the network (connected eth1) has DHCP on, that is probably your issue.
I never quit... I just ping out.

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 01:31:22 am »
ok so i think i cant use the router as just a switch with a wireless accesss point :-( i turned the wan port off, so now all ports are lan and disables dchp... The windows pc gets a proper ip address and gateway when i run ipconfig.. However the only issue is when tryin to run a web page it redirects to the routers diagnostics page :-( so so close.!! Thanks for the comments

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 02:05:55 am »
See if you have the a choice disable the gateway. Please inform the brand and model.... maybe i can get it's manual and see what is to be done.

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 10:16:49 am »
Ok so here is a link to the router that I have, Not at home right now so donk know if I can disable the gateway!!

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Netopia_2246N-VGx_Router_and_4_port_Switch/2246N-VGX/p/708632

Do you think this is the issue? If so it looks like the last step we need to get it working!

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:58 pm »
The router has NAT enabled. disable that, and you should be clear... however the routers firewall is tied up in the NAT... not a huge deal if you are firewalled before hitting eth0.

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/technotes/CQG_015.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:05:49 pm by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 05:35:05 pm »
It has an option to enable one of the Ethernet Ports as the WAN which is what I have done and connected an ethernet cable from eth1 to the Wan port.
And there is your problem.  Undo that, make sure the DHCP is turned off and connect the core's eth1 to a normal LAN port.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 06:49:16 pm »
The router has NAT enabled. disable that, and you should be clear... however the routers firewall is tied up in the NAT... not a huge deal if you are firewalled before hitting eth0.

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/technotes/CQG_015.html

Bang on l3mce I turned NAT off and hey presto Everything worked :)
Thanks alot and a big thanks to pw44 as well as everyone else!!

Im off to try out PXE boot...