Author Topic: How Long for initial PXE boot  (Read 11563 times)

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
How Long for initial PXE boot
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:18:02 pm »
Ok so im trying to PXE boot a windows machine....
I have followed the steps in the wiki where I take down the MAC address and add the MD in the
admin page.... However when I reboot using PXE the MD still only loads the same stuff "Unable to load..." hiw can i tell if the image is built???

Thanks

P.S. the last line on the PXE boot says:
Code: [Select]
Unable to locate configuration fileif that helps!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:26:20 pm by dcubox1 »

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How Long for initial PXE boot
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:33:50 pm »
Where in the Wiki did you get those instructions?  I Pxe boot one of my windows laptop every now and then for use as a mobile MD around the house (most rooms have a cat6 drop) and all i ever did/do is enable pxe booting in the bios and restarted.  

Edit:  To answer the question in the subject, on my system the initial boot usually takes much longer.  In my opinion it takes longer than i would like for the MD's to boot in general but the initial is almost 50% longer.  The MD's on my system also hangs on the initial boot, every other boot after that is fine though.  IDK if I'm just to impatient but after a hard reboot during the initial boot, it boots up fine and the avwizard starts. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:41:21 pm by klovell »

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:41:01 pm »
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/PXE

I tried to just enable PXE boot but got nothing thats when I started looking at posts and the wiki

EDIT: From digging a bit more I believe it has something to do with the /pxelinux.cfg/default file as it fails at this step and also I do not have this file on the hybrid when i browse to that directory!!?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:46:46 pm by dcubox1 »

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:50:26 pm »
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/PXE

I tried to just enable PXE boot but got nothing thats when I started looking at posts and the wiki

Which Version are you using?  If you're using 0810 there's your problem...
"This step is not needed since version 7.04" and "This step is not needed since version 7.04 "

Make sure you have the diskless MD Image...or what ever it's called installed.  I'll try and find the link for you but it's in the wiki.  When you say "but get nothing" what does that mean? your computer tries to pxe but boots windows instead or starts booting lmce and fails??

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:34:34 pm »

Make sure you have the diskless MD Image...or what ever it's called installed.  I'll try and find the link for you but it's in the wiki. 

Is this what I need?:
Run '/usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh' on the core to created the MD image.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »

Make sure you have the diskless MD Image...or what ever it's called installed.  I'll try and find the link for you but it's in the wiki. 

Is this what I need?:
Run '/usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh' on the core to created the MD image.

sorry, i was derailed.  Yes, if you're using 0810 and you installed it from the dvd then that is what you need.  I couldn't pxe boot my md's until i ran that.  It took a good while to complete.  I have no clue how long as i was way to impatient to sit around and wait for it, but i waited for while before i left the room. 

If i were you and this is a dvd install of 0810, I'd delete the md you manually added, then run this script, then try to pxe boot the md.   

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:19:39 pm »
Ok so I removed the MD from the admin, ran the script( twiddled my thumbs for half an hour), reloaded the router....PXE booted the pc and it ran the diskless setup, then it restarted itself now it is stuck on the following message:

Could not find kernel image:80/vmlinuz
boot:

Any suggestions!!
Thanks for the help

Edit: I deleted the MD using the GUI and rebooted the hybrid, then tried PXE booting again, went through the same process and failed in the exact same way!!! is there something wrong with the kernel???
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:47:23 pm by dcubox1 »

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:38:16 am »
Ok so I removed the MD from the admin, ran the script( twiddled my thumbs for half an hour), reloaded the router....PXE booted the pc and it ran the diskless setup, then it restarted itself now it is stuck on the following message:

Could not find kernel image:80/vmlinuz
boot:

Any suggestions!!
Thanks for the help

Edit: I deleted the MD using the GUI and rebooted the hybrid, then tried PXE booting again, went through the same process and failed in the exact same way!!! is there something wrong with the kernel???

When you say GUI, are you talking about web admin? Did you reset the core after removing the MD?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:42:55 am »
Ya I ment WebAdmin not GUI sorry...Yes I deleted the MD rebooted the core, then tried PXE booting again.
The MD got assigned a differnet ID so insetad of the
80/vmlinuz it was
77/vmlinuzthat was the only difference!!

THEVILLAIN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:20:13 pm »
Still having the problem ?

check the soft links on the MD in /usr/pluto/diskless/XX where XX is the MD designation.  Mine show.

initrd.img -> /usr/pluto/diskless/53/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-14-generic
vmlinuz -> /usr/pluto/diskless/53/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-14-generic

You may have to manually fix if they are not pointing to the correct kernel boot files.
Everytime I generated a new MD they would point to ...27-7-generic which was wrong.

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 04:10:48 pm »
Ya still having the problem, thanks for the suggestion i will give it a go.

May seem like a stupid question but how do you check the kernel version?

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 10:31:02 pm »
initrd.img -> /usr/pluto/diskless/53/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-14-generic
vmlinuz -> /usr/pluto/diskless/53/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-14-generic

You may have to manually fix if they are not pointing to the correct kernel boot files.
Everytime I generated a new MD they would point to ...27-7-generic which was wrong.

Ok so I went and checked these 2 files and they are both pointing at the correct kernel....

Tried PXE booting again(just for the fun) and still got the same crappy error :(

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 10:56:51 pm »
I'm all out but allow me to take a swing in the dark for a moment.  Are you certain the script ran correctly ('/usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh')?  I don't recall if sudo is required or not but i would imagine it would be.  I usually just throw sudo in front of commands like that as a general practice.  It maybe wrong but i still very much suck at linux... I'm tryin though.  Maybe the script errored out some where and you didn't notice, that would mean you have an incomplete image.  some of those commands fly past the screen.  Good Luck.

dcubox1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:49:53 am »
Ya i ran that script fine, i would never of got this far otherwise...do you know if its ok to just run the script again ?

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 02:26:12 pm »
Ya i ran that script fine, i would never of got this far otherwise...do you know if its ok to just run the script again ?

hmm...  i don't know dude.  I don't see why it would break things if you ran the script again but i don't know for sure.  When you run scripts like that doesn't linux just skip over parts that are already done?  That's my understanding of how it works, please tell me if I'm wrong.