Author Topic: Wiki swamp | Category 0810?  (Read 13202 times)

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
Re: Wiki swamp | Category 0810?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 07:02:20 pm »
We could try ;)

Before we go ahead and do anything, though, what is a good format for the table?

What information would people like to see?

I'm thinking something like:

|Version|Status|Date|Contributed / tested by|
|710|Status Unknown|||
|810|Working|29th April 2010|Wiedbeard65|

What do others think?

Also, I reckon we should have a "Works with 810" type logo that we could add to wiki pages etc. Anyone artistic?
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 07:52:58 pm »
We could try ;)

Before we go ahead and do anything, though, what is a good format for the table?

What information would people like to see?

I'm thinking something like:

|Version|Status|Date|Contributed / tested by|
|710|Status Unknown|||
|810|Working|29th April 2010|Wiedbeard65|

What do others think?

Also, I reckon we should have a "Works with 810" type logo that we could add to wiki pages etc. Anyone artistic?

This looks good! I think that this would greatly improve the quality of the wiki pages at a glance. As far as mass inserts, i've categorized tons of pages by just working my way down a list of articles + copy and paste. It eventually gets done. Now i think there a little to no uncategorized articles, not that I categorized them all but you get the point. In the end this is a community project and I think that this would be a great thing for people like me who cant necessarily contribute to the code-base to add more robust support.

Lets just agree on a standard format and go. :)

golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 08:58:04 pm »
Works for me :)

I'll try to make a start on it later...

The reason I was suggesting a mass S&R was that it makes sure we've hit all the pages (even the odd ones!!)
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 09:04:50 pm »
you guys should try to make this a mediawiki template, so that you can easily insert this with parameters on the relevant pages.

Look at the meta mediawiki for instructions.

-Thom

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 09:07:34 pm »
Oh, I agree totally - I'm concerned about getting the information into the existing pages though.

Still, at least once this is done, I'll feel I've contributed something!
Paul

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 12:51:33 am »
Looks nice.
Go for it, if you need manpower I am there

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:55 am »
Oh, I agree totally - I'm concerned about getting the information into the existing pages though.

Still, at least once this is done, I'll feel I've contributed something!
Then how about you get off your lazy ass and actually start editing?  Or would that be to much effort if it can't be done with "mass inserts"?

And yeah, that's what the wiki is actually about, giving certain people a warm glowing feeling that they might actually have done something that does not exclusively benefits themselves... :P
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 05:48:31 am »
An honest man speaks the truth, though it may give offence; a vain man, in order that it may.
-- William Hazlitt

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 05:15:45 pm »
Then how about you get off your lazy ass and actually start editing?  Or would that be to much effort if it can't be done with "mass inserts"?
Zaerc,

I take great offence to this comment. I don't have experience of coding, or that much experience with Linux, but I do have extensive knowledge of networking and SQL. I contribute where I can and wanting to do things efficiently does not make me lazy. One of the powers of SQL is the ability to update information "En masse", this much more efficient than doing it record by record (which is what updating each page would require) as it is faster, ensures no pages are missed by accident, the point I was making when I said
I'm concerned about getting the information into the existing pages though.
and ensures consistency.

Unlike some, I don't have a lot of time to throw at the community, I do what I can. Just because you haven't seen me start, is no excuse for your, frankly, insulting comment.

Whether you are telling the truth or not, I definately think your posting falls into the second category of Wombiroller's! and as such if that is all you have to say, you should keep your postings to yourself.
Paul

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 05:21:21 pm »
Ok all nice, we all have seen eachother's teeth and claws, but how do we go from here?
You say you have the expertise, so what now?

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 05:31:31 pm »
you guys should try to make this a mediawiki template, so that you can easily insert this with parameters on the relevant pages.

Look at the meta mediawiki for instructions.

-Thom

Yes, template is the way to go for sure.  See the docs here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Template

You can find some pretty ridiculous examples on wikipedia.  Just edit a page and look for the template include:
Code: [Select]
{{ template_name | parameter }}
Then you can go look up the source of the template by editing the template page.  Remember to add the Template namespace, like so:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Infobox&action=edit

davidsmoot

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 09:17:39 pm »
I've got a thick skin so I'll jump in.

Coming to this community as someone with programming skills but no multimedia / AV knowledge, my first impression was the wiki sucked.  I had trouble finding basic answers like what exactly is LMCE?  Where do I find a list of all currently supported alarm systems?  What are the pro's and cons of various automation protocols? Etc.  The information is somewhat there, just scattered and not well organized.

Now I have not contributed anything, wiki, code, or otherwise (I just bought a house, spare time is an oxymoron).  I hit the forums a couple times a day while my code is compiling at work. 

If I jump in the wiki and start trying to make stuff easier to find will I be welcomed for helping out or will I get my butt chewed for changing stuff when I'm a clueless newb? 

No promises here, I've got all the usual excuses of a full time job plus kid plus I'm studying for my PE certification.  But this community has a little "abrasiveness" some times that makes me hesitant to stick my neck out. 

David

bongowongo

• View Profile

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 09:41:51 pm »
I've got a thick skin so I'll jump in.

Coming to this community as someone with programming skills but no multimedia / AV knowledge, my first impression was the wiki sucked.  I had trouble finding basic answers like what exactly is LinuxMCE?  Where do I find a list of all currently supported alarm systems?  What are the pro's and cons of various automation protocols? Etc.  The information is somewhat there, just scattered and not well organized.

Now I have not contributed anything, wiki, code, or otherwise (I just bought a house, spare time is an oxymoron).  I hit the forums a couple times a day while my code is compiling at work. 

If I jump in the wiki and start trying to make stuff easier to find will I be welcomed for helping out or will I get my butt chewed for changing stuff when I'm a clueless newb? 

No promises here, I've got all the usual excuses of a full time job plus kid plus I'm studying for my PE certification.  But this community has a little "abrasiveness" some times that makes me hesitant to stick my neck out. 

David

I would say jump in, but when you make some more significant change post the link also to forums and if you are doing something wrong you will soon hear about it ;)
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent