Author Topic: Wiki swamp | Category 0810?  (Read 13200 times)

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Wiki swamp | Category 0810?
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:04:35 am »
Hello fellow users,

Had a problem with linuxmce 0810, and couldn't find a solution quick enough, or were not certain the wiki entry will even work on your newly installed 0810 beta?

Let's make this vow..............that if you used a wiki-page in 0810 succesfully put it in the 0810 category by using [[Category: 0810]]  on top of the wikipage.
Example:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ShuttleX50V2
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Category:0810

Because we are not into a release yet, you should state which built of the beta you used.

I think it is a good and simple idea, in the end we can purge all articles not 0810.
Please give me some feedback.

P.S.
This also counts for forum topics that are succesfully solved.
If you are not a linux wiz/coder/dev please contribute through the wiki.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:39:34 am by bongowongo »

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
Re: Wiki swamp | Category 0810?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:44:08 am »
Dude,

I fully agree and have proposed similar in the past. Sadly....   :-\

Let's hope your suggestion / appeal is more successful  ;)
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:34:07 am »
I want to see vow's
Do you vow?

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:57:40 am »
Of course  ;D
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 05:09:55 pm »
Could you explain this idea a little more? I would prefer that we not have a million categories if they aren't needed.

I think if there is something 0810 specific, it should be mentioned in the table of contents on that page, and not added to another category. As we move forward dedicating a category to what essentially is a snapshot in time doesn't seem very efficient. Proper tagging and notation should be more than enough to find what your looking for.

golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:47:11 pm »
I think it is a good and simple idea, in the end we can purge all articles not 0810.
And destroy all of LMCE's history?  I don't think so.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 06:53:35 pm »

And destroy all of LinuxMCE's history?  I don't think so.
I was not really serious on that :)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »

And destroy all of LinuxMCE's history?  I don't think so.
I was not really serious on that :)

But I think it speaks to the larger question at hand. Why tie data to a specific release? Just properly annotate the wiki page to begin with and there will be no need for superfluous categories.

golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 06:58:39 am »
I actually suggested this a while back (and created the categories) but to no avail. I also suggested that we add a header to each page (maybe a table) that would act as a version compatability / relevance matrix, again no take up  :( (It should be possible to to a mass modification to put an empty matrix at the top ov every page on the wiki, with an "unknown" status for every version. That way, s soon as someone visits a page with knowledge of its relevance, they can simply modify the matrix. This would have the effect of not only making the pages consistent, but also reminding folks to do this.)

One of the most frustrating things about the wiki is that it's hard to know if information is current / relevant. Even the last edited date doesn't neccessarily help! All these ideas are good ones for solving the problem, but only if there is "buy in" from everyone. Even a "Works with 810" logo on pages would be an improvement!
Paul

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:08:09 pm »
I actually suggested this a while back (and created the categories) but to no avail. I also suggested that we add a header to each page (maybe a table) that would act as a version compatability / relevance matrix, again no take up  :( (It should be possible to to a mass modification to put an empty matrix at the top ov every page on the wiki, with an "unknown" status for every version. That way, s soon as someone visits a page with knowledge of its relevance, they can simply modify the matrix. This would have the effect of not only making the pages consistent, but also reminding folks to do this.)

One of the most frustrating things about the wiki is that it's hard to know if information is current / relevant. Even the last edited date doesn't neccessarily help! All these ideas are good ones for solving the problem, but only if there is "buy in" from everyone. Even a "Works with 810" logo on pages would be an improvement!

+1

Sounds like a stellar idea to me. I expect this should improve the participation rates quite a bit!

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:50:04 pm »
Weirdbeard65, work it out and let's make a sticky in the forum so these guidelines are known.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 04:04:11 pm »
Weirdbeard65, work it out and let's make a sticky in the forum so these guidelines are known.
I'd be glad to, however my preferred option (a compatability matrix / grid at the top of each page) would require someone who is a Wiki Admin to do the mass insert (assuming this can be done, of course!)

Anyone else able to offer suggestions or help?
Paul

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »
I talked to possy on IRC, and he said it cannot be done by mass insert.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:23 pm »
Oh?

I've done similar on other Wiki's by running a query on the underlying SQL database. Of yourse, you need to be DBA to do that ;)

Otherwise, maybe we can write some sort of curl script to go in and edit all the various pages automatically. Not a good solution, though!
Paul

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 04:47:37 pm »
Ok well get that password from somebody.