Author Topic: Shuttle X50 V2 Kernel Panic solved, but still not booting because of soft lockup  (Read 4261 times)

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
I am having trouble to PXE boot this device. It is recognised by dcerouter and get's an IP
It then wants to load the image but then the kernel panic starts, it is the same alert in this topic http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8386.0.
Code: [Select]
/init:  .: 1: Can't open /tmp/net-eth0.conf
[   18.907868] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attemtped to kill init!

Running through the topic it states that I have to insert the drivers for the network card. But I have no idea where to find the drivers for this device.
The network card is a JMicron JMC261 single-chip PCIe Fast Ethernet.
I think if I have those files it is just running the wiki tutorial that applies to unrecognised nics, and we will see what troubles lie ahead.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:49:40 pm by bongowongo »

PaulH

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shuttle X50 V2 Kernel Panic
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:18:10 pm »
I had a similar problem few weeks ago on another shuttle (SN78SH). Turned out to be bad memory. May not be a bad idea to run memory test.
Thanks

THEVILLAIN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:14:39 am »
Sounds like the NIC is not recognized by that kernel.  You can get around it easily by buying a supported intel nic, I use both old intel 100mb and  newer 1Gb nic's depending on the MD.  Also if there is onboard NIC's, make sure they are disabled.

PXE Boot drivers are loaded onto a ROM on the motherboard or the NIC card and independent of the linux kernel.  When you say recognized by the dcerouter, the linux kernel has not loaded yet, that is the PXE boot ROM getting a DHCP address and boot logic from DCErouter.

Did you check the ubuntu hardware compatibility page to see if that Jmicron controller is supported ?

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:27:40 am »
I got the driver loaded in the rom with help from the unregonized NIC wiki,
But the last advice does not work in the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Unrecognized_NIC

Code: [Select]
mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-`uname -r` `uname -r`It says it cannot find uname in lib/modules, so what am I doing wrong, I am very close

/EDIT
I made a typo error, it still results in that something cannot find, but the bootscreen now goes further, I am now crashed a little bit longer down the way.
Looking into it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:34:47 am by bongowongo »

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 02:43:33 pm »
The kernel panics are gone, and it boots, till a certain point.
It now seems it has trouble to load the drivers for the SD-card reader.
The Jmicron 261 is a combination express card, half network card and also controls the cardreader.
During the bootup I get "soft lockup" messages, just after it wants to load the sd cardreader.
Is there a way to stop the MD from loading sd cardreader, or should I place the driver in the corresponding place, wherever that may be.
I cannot unplug it internally sadly, or shut it out in the bios.
Or maybe I am looking at it wrongly all together.