Author Topic: Problems with Gyration Go 2.4 Air Mouse  (Read 3648 times)

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Problems with Gyration Go 2.4 Air Mouse
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:16:52 am »
I've been having issues with the orbiter's 4 arrows that do the channels, seek, volume, etc, leaving a black imprint on the screen and generally being flakey (I've mentioned this in a few posts).

Anyway, having disconnected the dongle, it looks like it's a problem associated with the Gyration Go Air Mouse.

To be more precise, when I press one of the three shortcut buttons, it flickers uncontrollably, as if the button was being repeatedly pressed. A quick reload or orbit regen is then required to snap it out of it. Is this a known issue? Can anybody recommend a fix?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Gyration Go 2.4 Air Mouse
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:04:31 am »
I had the same problem with the gyration air mouse. I was using an asus eee box with intel graphics. I always thought it was the graphics that crashed the md. It was very twitchy. My problems were using 710. Don't have the mouse to test under 810 though.

What graphics card is your md using?
Barney

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:45:29 am »
Yeah I used to have the same problems with 0710, but they seem worst with 0810.

Currently I'm using an nVidia ion board, so GeForce 9400M according to wikipedia. My MD with 0710 was some 7xxx series nVidia card I think, it was cheap and cheerful two or three years ago. In any event, I don't think it's anything to do with the graphics, I think it's some issue with the mouse itself. Yesterday evening I removed it and just used my media keyboard, and the problem went away.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to sort it?

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 06:58:12 pm »
I have been playing with a solution to this. The reason this is happening, it seems, is because the airmouse gets locked after sending the f6 or f8 command after the trigger/top middle button and continues to send repeat characters (like holding down a key on a keyboard) until you interrupt that stream. I find this is more likely to happen with a lower charge. This seems to be a problem with the gyro itself. The easy workaround is to first click the opposite button you want, and then immediately click the correct one. (ie volume/lighting is right of the middle button, so click left/right quickly.) I will try and have a permanent solution by tonight which avoids this.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:16:47 pm by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »
Strange.

Before clubbing around in the lirc stuff I tried installing xbindkeys, xbindkeys-config, and xvkbd so that I could see what xbindkeys-config had to say about what the button input was doing. xbindkeys-config would not run once installed, however I now cannot reproduce the glitch unless I hold the key(s) down. I will figure out a real solution... but it was interesting, and as a quick fix, it is what it is.

Looking through all the scripts now to find any possible repeat=x entries to change. This may have the unintended effect of removing keyboard repeats as well... but who gives a chit?

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 11:15:30 am »
That IS very strange, thanks for poking about with it though.

What you described in your first post is exactly what I have seen also, although I must say I haven't noticed any correlation with a lower charge.

So it seems that installing xbindkeys etc sorts the problem? Will give this a go.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:04:54 pm »
On reboot, problems returned... trying again to run from shell without desktop up seems to resolve again. Dunno. Program also does not function (for me) as I expected.

Also, because I think the low battery thing exacerbates the repeating, doesn't make it science... I drink a lot.