Author Topic: Adding support for .avi files  (Read 18311 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Adding support for .avi files
« on: March 24, 2005, 02:18:29 am »
Hi,

I'd love to watch .avi files (divx5 mostly) in Pluto. But currently it seems not recognized nor supported.

Any change in future ?
Any addtional apps to install ?

Adding .avi support will also be welcomed for playing security motion videos...

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 09:29:40 am »
.avi's do play.  You need to put them in the /home/public/data/videos directory (or your private videos directory) and then hit the 'videos' button.

If you put them in the 'movies' directory it won't show them because when you hit the 'dvd/movies' button it's only looking for files with the .dvd extension, which are dvd's.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 09:51:36 am »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
.avi's do play.  You need to put them in the /home/public/data/videos directory (or your private videos directory) and then hit the 'videos' button.

If you put them in the 'movies' directory it won't show them because when you hit the 'dvd/movies' button it's only looking for files with the .dvd extension, which are dvd's.

Aaaah,

sorry that was my mistake.

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 08:11:28 am »
Quote from: "aaron.b"

What exactly is a "dvd" file? I presume that this is a DVD ripped to the hard disk somehow. How does this work?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 09:16:12 am »
A .dvd file is just a disk duplicate (ie dd) of the disc.  Basically it's an .ISO image.  The code is in the module 'Disk_Drive'.  It gets a rip command and spawns dd.

The reason for the separation is just to keep things organized, so when you hit 'music' you get music, 'movies' gives you dvd's (ie with menus, titles, etc.), and 'videos' is other video files like MPEG, AVI, etc. (usually recorded TV shows and the user's own video clips).