Author Topic: Best Setup for LinuxMCE  (Read 2377 times)

thegoat3183

Best Setup for LinuxMCE
« on: March 07, 2008, 03:39:28 pm »
Hello all,
   I am new to the forum but am a long time Linux user. I have been using Ubuntu for a while now and came across LinuxMCE. My question for everyone is what is the best way to setup a LinuxMCE system? I have 2 TV's and would like to be able to access it on both. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

The Goat

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Setup for LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:34:12 pm »
There is no "best way" to set up LMCE, it all depends on your needs/wants, the possibilities in your area (mainly reception issues) and how much time and effort you are willing to put into building your own personal custom system.

You'll probably want to start by looking at the options available for receiving a TV signal.  For 2 TVs you will need either a hybrid and one media director, or a core and 2 media directors.  For watching different channels on them, you are likely to need at least 2 tuners, maybe more if you want to record shows simultaneous as well.  Unless your TV signal is DVB, then it is sometimes possible to watch/record more then one channel per tuner.

To get started you can find the experience of other people with their hardware in the wiki: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Category:Hardware
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous