I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this?
My core got taken out by a lightning strike recently and as I wait, hoping for a positive insurance assessment, I'm happily planning its replacement.
Since my core is headless and runs in the server closet this seems like a great little machine. The primary issue is that it has practically no expansion slots.... however I don't plan on adding any tv-tuners or other cards. I still use my system mostly for media and if I do get into the automation side I imagine I'll work via networked adapters.
What seems to be nice about this machine-
- Compact Size - basically 24cm x 24cm x 24cm
- Dual onboard network cards
- Onboard intel HD graphics - intel graphics seems to be working ok with LMCE at the moment and really it's just needed while setting up before making it headless
- Low power proc - the G1610T celeron processor has TDP of only 35w which is great for a server running 24/7
- 4 SATA bays - for your media drives
- Optical bay for blu-ray / dvd drive
Any thoughts on this would be most welcome. I'll post more if I buy the sucker.
I'd love to put an SSD in as the O/S drive to speed up boots of media directors but that's a bit of a scene apparently because the 4 SATA bays require a special adapter for 2.5" drives to align the connectors and if you plug into the ODD instead, apparently the BIOS won't let you boot from there. Some have added a PCI SATA controller to get around this.