I installed 1404 today using the instructions here:http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_1404
There were two minor issues:
1. Basic video codecs were not installed and hence no videos would play, including Sarah. This was true from within LMCE as well as using the bundled video player on the kubuntu desktop. It seems to have been fixed using instructions for restricted formats on the Ubuntu community page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
2. The UpdateMedia script is not running by default and thus not adding videos to the database. I ran the script manually as root and this fixes the problem though I have now added a bunch of junk to the database.
I have a few questions:
1. How can I get UpdateMedia to run normally?
2. How can I clear the database and get UpdateMedia to add only files from the correct locations?
3. Have I screwed anything up by adding the codec support in the manner described? I also added libdvdcss using the instructions on the Ubuntu page.