Compatible Products & Services / Futureproof DIY kits and barebones, tell me about your expectations!« on: January 20, 2011, 05:58:24 pm »
First let me introduce myself, my name is Gijs van Elderen, I'm from the Netherlands and starting my own business in domotica.
My specialties are Clearos (Clarkconnect), Windows CE and starting with Windows 7 embedded, routers, electrics, video/AV equipment.
I'm a not a really technic guy like the some of the guru's on this forum, be gentle (still learning at a fast rate)
Expertise from LinuxMCE is limited for now,I have used the product for 1 year. However I'M A HUGE FAN of non-windows based media solutions!!! And by far LINUXMCE rules!
I'm enthousiastic about the basic model of LinuxMCE and want to give this a real business opportunity.
I really need your input! Of course your input will be reward itself into a perfect solution for you at home that is futureproof.
I have good contacts with A-class suppliers such as HP/Cisco/Legrand/Acer/ a diversity of wholesale companies eg Ingram/Misco
I already called one of my contacts at Misco a explained my idea about a single hardware solution with LinuxMCE
The consumer is the one who can make the LinuxMCE project goes mainstream, so we really need
What are my ideas/questions:
1. at least one hardware platform for which we can make a preinstall environment for users.
2. Android and Iphone apps including good and solid scaling for tablets. I mean I like the webinterface, but people who have smartphones don't necesarry have knowledge about mediacenters or IT knowhow. and everybody likes cool apps!
3. We need at least a couple major brands to support LinuxMCE right out of the box (eg boxee)
4. LinuxMCE is still a very technical solution, mainstream people don't have the time and energy and knowhow to set it up properly. How can we make this more simple(nearly for retarded people)?
5. The skin is a bite outdated, yes I know there are several nice skins. However they are still under development or haven't been worked on for a very long time. Can we make simple but effective changes to make it very sleek and shiny to look at?
6. We need very good input/ time/ investments from suppliers and developers. Like the Z-wave integration of products
Please reply to my questions with remarks in the order of my ideas. This will make it easy for everybody too read.
My answers for my ideas:
1. For example I have read great stories about the Nvidia ION/ Intel Atom/Pineview configurations. These will make excellent futureproof costefficient Media Players or perhaps in very simple cases nice mediaservers! My idea of a simple server would be to intergrate the Sandy Bridge GPU architecture, the performance is excellent for decoding videos and playback. These products are still a bit expensive for the most of us. However I can supply the new mainboards and new CPU/GPU units/ knowhow and in the future resources (people and money)
platform: Sandy Bridge or perhaps the new AMD Fusion?
mainboard: any motherboard manufacturing company that are interested to make it part of a software/ total package
tv-cards: still looking into that one, have read about good results with haupage (have send a email to the sales already)
network: one or two supported cards, for example Realtek 8111 NIC's
case: simple solution (go for the cleanest possible exterior)
remote: LinuxMCE remote? Logitech harmony/ duet?!?!?
harddisk configurations: software raid (displayed i easy terms for home users, putting a extra disc in should be easy as pie!)
2. I think that the new generation of social media addicts and new group of users that already started working with pc's since they where little (age 6-7), now are ready to take the smartphone market and tablet as well as media/domotica to a new level. In my opinion very slick and well organised applications are key! Official support from the android market is so important. I already approached 17 companies for development of Android applications and received several good responses.
3. Is it possible with a limited budget to make a mediaplayer/extender solution with for example a new Nvidia Tegra chip? This will make an excellent thin client solution. I have a positive reaction from Nvidia, they are interested! Also a good solution would be a combo pack including a logitech duet solution
4. If we keep the fully supported hardware list to a minimum we can make several install cd's that are almost completly ready-to-use
And we could make menus designed for kids! So write down your requirements and recommendations.
5. Is there someone here that has a fully slick and sleek working skin that is up to date with the new windows 7 aero like theme? Or who can make this? Or would be interested to do so.
6. If you support me and perhaps guide me, I will do everything that is in my power to get it done. I already made an appointment with a electric socket/ lighting appliances (legrand, they are attempting to get a open-source domotica solution!)
So please give me your input!!! I would really appreciate it and it will benefit the LINUXMCE project!
With respect and friendly greetings
ps sorry for my english, it has been a while since I typed something like this