The way I fixed it was a bit messy but it may give you an idea of how to go about addressing it on your system should the need arise.
Since I could not restart the dhcp3-server the first thing I tried to do was remove it. Well, this also took out dce-router so that was not so good. I reinstalled dce-router and then tried to reinstall dhcp3-server but got a dependency error that stated that the wrong dhcp3-common file is installed--which is what I suspect the lucid upgrade did. So I removed the dhcp3-common file that was installed and installed the correct one, then reinstalled dhcp3-server. However, the server would not start and gave this error:
Setting up dhcp3-server (3.1.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server ...
dhcpd self-test failed. Please fix the config file.
The error was:
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.1.1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
Can't open /etc/bind/rndc.key: Permission denied
invoke-rc.d: initscript dhcp3-server, action "start" failed.
So searching the internet, I found this fix:
I have added these two lines to the dhcp3 profile: /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.dhcpd3
After restarting apparmor
I am now able to restart dhcp3 without any errors.
Which was true, but somehow eth0 had lost its ability to get an ip meaning I had a functional intranet but no internet. So I changed eth0 settings from DHCP to manual and filled them in, and then rebooted hoping for the best.
So far, so good. I don't know if LMCE recognized all the shenanigans I had pulled and reinstalled the correct files or if this actually worked on its on, but when I do an apt-get upgrade nothing shows up, dhcp is assigning addresses again, gc-100 works and I have learned my lesson to never ever upgrade unless you check it out first.