I've had a HTPC in some form for about 8 years. About 4 years ago I started using BeyondTV, and have been very happy with it. But it doesn't support DVB-T. I have been waiting for the homerun T version, so I could finally have digital. But alas, it seems the snapstream guys are not going in the direction I would have liked. And any media centre options now don't look like happening.
Over the last few months I have also played around with Vista MCE. Pretty much unimpressed with it. Actually I hate it generally.
Soooooo, now I read about linuxMCE, and watched the videos. You have my attention!!
But to say I have no experience with Linux is an understatement.
I have started to read everything I can, but before I potentially waste my time, can some of you more experienced users give me some advice please?
What I want.
!. I want to be able to watch my movies, blu-ray, DVD,images and xvids in two separate rooms, at 1920x1080, preferably with HDMI. Not necessarily at the same time though.
2. Be able to listen to music on either of these two TVs also.
3. Able to control some lighting in the house. Fairly simple on/off dim with PLCBUS.
4. Be able to use my programmable prontos to control each PC separately.
5. Capture DTV and Austar (satellite) and have a program guide for both.
6. Be able to watch live TV on both TVs at the same time.
OK, onto the hardware I have and don't have.
1. Hauppauge PVR150
2. USB UIRT x2
3. WD 500gb drives x 2
Items I intend to buy
1. Hauppauge Nova T500 x2
2. AMD 4850e cpu
3. 2 gig ram
Things I need help selecting!
1. Motherboard with at least 3 pci slots.
2. PCIex network card
3. Two extenders, preferably small and quiet, if not silent. Fiire invisible? Must of course be able to do all the above.
Oh another question.
Which download do I get??? The AMD64 or i386?? I read that the usbuirt doesn't work with the i386 install. So does that mean I have to use the amd64 version? Or should I be using that anyway?? Bit lost on this one.