Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Murdock

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Developers / Re: Design Decision - Update and Upgrade System
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:53 pm »
Ok, I've been testing with code attached to this trac ticket:

I've also attached a log. I've been testing running this via the OSD orbiter by simply placing the file that the 'force upgrade now' button is expecting, which is also how I got the log.

What are our thoughts on implementing this as part of the base? I'd love to be able to use this personally.

Note: it uses upgrade and not dist-upgrade

Developers / Re: Design Decision - Update and Upgrade System
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:28:11 pm »
I agree with the dist-upgrade - though why not link the 'upgrade now' button under the advanced menu to do an update/upgrade for the user? Currently the code is pointing to a shell script which doesn't exist. I'm thinking if we repoint it to a script, like this one: and make it reside in /usr/pluto/bin, and add code for the core.

Developers / Design Decision - Update and Upgrade System
« on: January 24, 2012, 05:45:56 pm »
All - I'm looking at the code under LMCEUpdate* :

It looks like the system was built around the MCE devs providing an xml file, sample here:
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0"?>
 <update id="1">
  <description>Update mythtv packages from the Core to work with SchedulesDirect.</description>

Today I'm thinking we've moved away from this model and are pushing all updates through standard apt processes. At this point do we want to abandon this XML process in favor of being able to upgrade and notify end users through the standard APT process, or do we want to keep going down the XML road?

This happens because the default AVWizard screen is assumed to be pushed over an HDMI connection for a Media director, virtualbox and VGA connections will show the pixelated screen, this was done to make it easier for setting up MDs without lugging around a monitor and keyboard.

Installation issues / Re: New 1004 Installer Testing
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:22:54 pm »
FYI - code has been committed to determine ATI vs Intel vs nVidia and install the necessary driver automatically and alert the end user it will take a few minutes to complete so they aren't wondering what is going on.

Users / Re: 1004 | Cannot Create a Diskless Image
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:58:06 pm »
I need to find a more reliable way to do that gpg key import, it seems to work 2 out of 3 times without problem, though sometimes it doesn't work at all.

Here's the relevant command section:
Code: [Select]
#Setup the medibuntu repo
cp -p /usr/bin/wget $TEMP_DIR/usr/bin/wget
sleep 1
LC_ALL=C chroot $TEMP_DIR /usr/bin/wget -q -O- | /usr/bin/apt-key add -
VerifyExitCode "medibuntu apt key add"

Users / Re: Running a script prior to Myth Backend start
« on: January 23, 2012, 01:55:27 am »
as always, be super careful, but the easiest way to do that is to insert your script:

As that will fire prior to MCE and subsequently called programs.

Users / Re: 1004 | Cannot upgrade core
« on: January 23, 2012, 01:52:01 am »
I haven't looked too deep into it for a permenant fix yet, though that has come up on my system twice and it has to do with ipv6 comparability.

Is there a ticket open on this?

A basic workaround/config that will allow radvd.conf to continue is:

Code: [Select]
interface eth0 {
        AdvSendAdvert on;
        MinRtrAdvInterval 3;
        MaxRtrAdvInterval 10;
        prefix 2001:0db8:0100:f101::/64 {
                AdvOnLink on;
                AdvAutonomous on;
                AdvRouterAddr on;

So if you place that into the file /etc/radvd.conf - re-run apt-get upgrade it will conclude.

Installation issues / Re: New 1004 Installer Testing
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:52:16 pm »
FYI - Here's the code I was looking at adding:

The logic is sound though I don't have any way of testing due to the lack of hardware.

Installation issues / Re: New 1004 Installer Testing
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:04:21 pm »
can someone _PLEASE_ do the work to make the intel GPUs work OOB?


 I have the bones for doing it but no hrdware for testing it. Does anyone have an intel card that would test this out with me?

Installation issues / Re: New 1004 Installer Testing
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:03:00 pm »
Can I add a suggestion?

How about maintaining a (few) working Virtual machine snapshots? Since so many of us has the capability of running either VMWare, KVM or Virtual Box it could perhaps improve vastly on the resource pool for debugging etc. This will of course not test the install script in its own right, but accelerate the path to more mature core distros, and even allow for easier route to getting physical MDs to work.

This could flatten the learning curve for newcomers... Something worth considering, I believe many potential users (->testers --> contributors) have been lost due to not even getting through 1st install of the most mature beta/DVD snapshot

I have VMWare and would volunteer to create a snapshot (VMWare calls it a "Virtual Appliance") - do we have proper filespace to upload these? (my upload is only 2Mbit, meaning I can not host myself). It would probably be worth just keeping a few WM snapshot, rather than 50 DVD install snapshots...

I will of course get to that snapshot via the installer script, but probably not do create_diskless (no point before installing dvd-libs). It should be a very small issue to then make a wiki (with few pitfalls) for how the setup the virtual NICs, add dvd-libs and run create_diskless, and then new testers could have a working core in no time... I could even write a wiki for how to increase Virtual Disks (since it is a no-brainer in a virtualized environment), should some choose to keep their test install and run a "production core" from that..

In the end, we should be interacting more with the MD than with the core ;)
(and a working 10.10 is probably the better route, even that my 8.10 is acting OK so far - but I haven't received my new USB DVB-S cards yet, they could force me to 10.10 sooner than later)


I use virtualbox for testing/debugging my changes, i believe bongo does too.

Installation issues / Re: HDMI audio...(again!)
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:00:48 pm »
No, im going to wait for 12.04 for testing this ion2 board.

Installation issues / Re: New 1004 Installer Testing
« on: November 05, 2011, 03:10:45 pm »
Install libdvdcss2 on your core before you build the MD and it will automatically install on your MD. There are liability issues and it must be the end user's choice to install and can not be made automatic without user intervention.

Installation issues / Re: New 1004 Installer Testing
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:21:29 pm »
I can help as well with this, I've just (within the last 2 months) updated a few of the avwizard scripts for HDMI audio and HDMI video. All of it works OOB for my MDs (except the ion2 MD I have)

Installation issues / Re: Failed to start X on MD (new 10.04 install)
« on: October 24, 2011, 07:43:05 pm »
I continue to have issues with media 'tearing' when leveraging UI2 with alpha, I'm perfectly happy with plain jane UI2.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16