So, last evening I get home from work and get ready to fire up some of the recording I myth'd over the weekend. I fire up the LMCE video menu, and instead of seeing my tv shows there with cover art, I get the evil 2135_2008091401000.mpg files. So, I jump into MythTV and fire up the recordings menu, and of course, all my shows are there. So I go back out, and fire up mythweb to see if there is anything missing there. It says the tuner card on my Media Director in the Basement, is "(Currently not connected)". So I figure it is hung, I go downstairs, and its running fine, so I fire up MythTV there, and I get the mythtv-setup screen asking me about language preferences. I choose English, insure the server information is correct, and still no MythTV.
So I go back upstairs and fire up my laptop, and get two ssh sessions going, one to the core and the other to the MD in the basement. I become root on the core, and run the various job scripts I have, and they seem to complete successfully. So, I jump into the ssh session to the MD, and type 'mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg, enter the password, and get a "Unable to connect to mysql socket at /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock2, or something like that. So the next thing I try, is typing in 'mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg -h dcerouter' That worked and I connected to the database on the core.
So then I start digging into the various jobs I have scripted, like my mythpretty script which makes Human Readable entries from the evil mythtv numbering schema as detailed in my wiki entry here http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/MythPretty
and I notice that the shows are no longer being updated. For instance I know I have 2 episodes of The Shield recorded, but only one shows up.
So I run the script on the MD, and it also does no updates, and from either LMCE, MythTV, or the XboxMC I have running, I can not watch any of the shows recorded by the MD. MythTV recordings menu for instance says "File not found" I can only speculate that this is because the MD can not connect to the mysql database, via MythTV.
Most of the googling I did says about settings for the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file needing to be changed. Specifically the "bind address" portion of it. However, I have never changed this file. The only recent changes I did was re-installing the mythtv database, to resolve a tuner card not showing up issue, and restoring my mythconverg tables relating to previously recorded, and still used MythTV recordings, which I wiki'd here:http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Mythtv:RestoreRecordingsAfterUpgrade
I am at a loss. I am preparing to nuke and pave the core and start again, but I was wondering if any of you guru-types, may have a place for me to look, as to repairing my database issues.