OK...I'll try your method...couple questionw though..
1) The NVIDIA driver install wants the system to be a RunLevel 3. So between your steps 2 and 3...I should type telinit 3. I'm also assuming that after doing the telinit...the system will not automatically send me to the ubuntu login screen.
2) If all goes well with your procedure....will I need to modify any system files to get ubuntu to use the NVidia driver? For Example the xorg.conf.
1) press ctrl+alt+F1 (this brings you the text-based login outside the X)
2) command "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop" if you use ubuntu, and "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop" if you use kubuntu
3) now you have no X running and can install the Nvidia-drivers by commanding "sudo sh NVIDIA..." completing the package name which you are installing