« on: July 28, 2007, 06:15:57 am »
I just installed RC1 today as well. I initially tried to remove\purge the beta2 installation and install RC1 over the top. That proved to be a mistake. I won't go into the details, but I don't recommend trying it. I quickly decided to do a clean install of Kubuntu instead. The initial install aborted because it failed to install Lame. I haven't dug into why yet, but I'll be sending in the logs. On the 2nd attempt I choose not to install Lame and the install went smootly. The install was faster than the Beta2 but it still takes a while. It takes about as long for LMCE to cache the Kubuntu disk as it took to install Kubuntu from scratch.
I'm very very very pleased. All of my show stopper issues have been resolved.
1. The Xine aspect ratio playback is problem is completely fixed. It automatically detects the correct aspect ratio for any source material. They also added a nice menu to change the zoom and aspect ratio manually.
2. The MythTV integration seems to be improved. With the Beta2 I was constantly having difficulty connecting to the backend. That problem is now gone.
3. MythTV would continually flicker when navigating through the screens. That seems to be resolved.
4. There are a few subtle UI improvements that make for a much cleaner presentation. The screens seem to render more quickly and the red highlighting around a selection is a nice touch.
Things that worked out of the box:
1. MCE2005 remote was detected and installed. The key mappings are spot on.
2. HDHomeRun - Detected the device on the internal network, scanned for OTA channels, and allowed me to enter my zap2it provider. Both tuners worked perfectly.
3. PVR-150 - Detected the card and allowed me to enter my zap2it provider. This is by far the easiest mythTV integration I have ever been involved with. So far I have not needed to run myth-setup manually.
4. 5.1 and PCM audio work perfectly in Xine.
5. Dual Network card configuration was detected. I have an internal gigabit network up and running, and my Laptop was detected by the orbiter.
Things that didn't work out of the box:
1. No audio inside MythTV. I had to manually configure the ALSA settings to make it work.
2. LMCE didn't detect my eSATA drive or my secondary IDE drive. They were detected by the Beta2 so I'm not sure what's going on. Kubuntu sees them fine.
3. I wasn't prompted to run the AVWizard. It wasn't a big deal because I'm using a custom Xorg.conf for my display. Not sure how it would have gone if I didn't already have a known good config.
So far I'm very pleased. Thanks so much to everyone involved in the project!