« on: September 18, 2010, 07:13:39 pm »
I've just getting into home automation, so please forgive all the dumb questions. In fact, feel free to point out where I'm being dumb, so I can learn from my mistakes.
I'm looking for the right server to base my system around. I'm going to start with some very simple automations, but I hope to be successful and enjoy what I'm doing so I want to leave myself lots of room to grow.
Given that, I'm thinking I want to get an EeeBox 1501 to use as a hybrid server. I'll start with my questions about this as a server:
1. I'm thinking I'll upgrade the RAM to 4 GB to give me plenty of breathing room for running services on it. LinuxMCE will work well with that much RAM, right?
2. I see there's a 1501p with USB 3.0. I don't feel like I need that and I'm betting the compatibility in LinuxMCE will be better with USB 2.0. Does that sound accurate?
3. Can LinuxMCE do anything with the remote for this machine? Just curious.
4. I only have laptops these days, so I don't happen to have a spare monitor lying around anymore. Is it possible to do the setup using my HD TV (over HDMI)? If not, I do have an Apple LED I use with the laptops, but it only connects via their Mini DisplayPort. Is it possible I could use that with an adapter? Or do I just need to grab a monitor?
It would also be nice if I could replace my DVD player with this server. I had a question about that:
5. I've seen some conflicting reports so I'm asking: can I get 1080p video out of this thing with LinuxMCE?
Thanks for the information.
James Edward Gray II