The install of Ubuntu 6.10 was simple once all the interesting bugs were identified and dealt with (required the use of a usb drive, a second windows machine to download packages, and a lot of patients). Not a LinuxMCE problem, and as the linux guys at work point out, my problem.
Now Ubuntu 6.10 is installed, patched, and I am ready to begin the LinuxMCE install. The install went without a hitch and following the guide was immensly helpful. I wanted to replace the DHCP server so I told it yes be the DHCP server and I provided the local subnet instead of the default that was provided. Also Selecting the Ubuntu Desktop to be the default for bootup.
Media Center was started and after the bootup process (starting of services, etc) I got the AVWizard. Select all things that should have meshed up with the projector I was using I also selected the "Static Images" gui to lessen the complication of the initial gui. After the reboot I noticed that the MCE box was no longer on the network. After a little searching on the system I found out that the interfaces file was overwritten(or re-written) by the install so I corrected the problem and started again.
Now the initial "Basic Gui" is not very pretty. So i go to the admin site and select the No AlphaBlending Gui. Kaboom media center just shows a black screen and when I go and look it is not using the NVIDIA drivers as it should it is now using the VESA drivers. Using things found on the forum i am able to finally resolve this and hey the gui looks pretty-ish. The text on the buttons do not line up there are some where the shadow of the text is off from the white text and may of the buttons are either oversized or undersized (specifically in the advanced sections) and the background is changing (which is a nice touch).
Now the HDD that is on the drive has the folders needed for the videos i wanted to test with and so I go to videos, and there is nothing but two empty folders there. After working with linuxmce(4 and 5 also helped a little) we found out that the HDD was not detected nor was it flagged as a "unknown device". So after adding it by hand and then deleting it and re-running the Radar scripts (the names escape me right now) i get a nice pop-up onscreen that a new device was detected and what do I want to do with it. So I configure it and Low and behold my video is finally listed in the videos.
Up to this point I have been using a mouse and keyboard to do all of my configuring. Once in the video it plays perfectly, menu overlay and everything. Very pretty. But I notice I can't do anything to the video. I can't pause, I can't stop. So i start researching why this would happen and I can not find anything so I figure maybe it is trying to use the remote I told the admin i was using to do all of it. And I find out that it doesn't support my PVR-150 with the attached remote.
At this point it has been a full week (two full weekend days/nights, 1 work week day, and all my spare time in the morning and at night) and I am officially fedup with dealing with LinuxMCE. It looks to be a very promising product but with just the headaches listed above I am willing to make the wife deal with Myth again just to get the PVR back and working.