LinuxMCE Forums

General => Developers => Topic started by: Medrawd on January 29, 2012, 01:49:24 pm

Title: Translating GUI Tool
Post by: Medrawd on January 29, 2012, 01:49:24 pm
I'm working on translating GUI into Polish and I've made this simple tool to help myself.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n5ycbzg5c7m9zy7/Translator.jar (http://www.mediafire.com/file/n5ycbzg5c7m9zy7/Translator.jar)

Title: Re: Translating GUI Tool
Post by: l3mce on January 30, 2012, 05:28:19 pm
I'm working on translating GUI into Polish and I've made this simple tool to help myself.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n5ycbzg5c7m9zy7/Translator.jar (http://www.mediafire.com/file/n5ycbzg5c7m9zy7/Translator.jar)



This is the second thread you have put this in, and bongowongo detected a virus. You say your protections say it is clean... but if you wrote it... why would you need to verify it is safe?

Not saying you are doing something weird... many AVs throw false positives... but... can I just have the source code?

How is this tool expected to integrate into LMCE? What is it?
Title: Re: Translating GUI Tool
Post by: bongowongo on January 30, 2012, 05:53:51 pm
This is the second thread you have put this in, and bongowongo detected a virus. You say your protections say it is clean... but if you wrote it... why would you need to verify it is safe?

Not saying you are doing something weird... many AVs throw false positives... but... can I just have the source code?

How is this tool expected to integrate into LMCE? What is it?
1 scanner told me it had a virus, other virus scanner said nothing (differnt computers). If someone could verify?
Could be false positive.
Title: Re: Translating GUI Tool
Post by: david_a_dawson on January 30, 2012, 05:56:01 pm
Surely the easiest way to verify would be to provide the source code.
Title: Re: Translating GUI Tool
Post by: david_a_dawson on January 30, 2012, 06:10:00 pm
The jar is a bit odd, but doesn't look malicious at first glance.   
It appears to be the mysql JDBC driver jar with a few classes added to provide the GUI.  (the manifest gives this away). 

Gmail believes its clean.

I've inspected the code via decompilation, and it looks clean.  standard java Swing gui code.

I haven't gone through all the bundled mysql classes, however.

Might I suggest reworking this into webstart?  its not too much work, gives you an easy method to update the tool and lets you split the app up into jar files, so the mysql driver could live by itself again.
Title: Re: Translating GUI Tool
Post by: posde on January 30, 2012, 06:30:44 pm
The suggestion to provide the source code is a good one.
Title: Re: Translating GUI Tool
Post by: Medrawd on January 30, 2012, 06:44:22 pm
Here is source http://www.mediafire.com/file/a3fab514ak9xgrs/Translator.7z (http://www.mediafire.com/file/a3fab514ak9xgrs/Translator.7z)
nothing evil inside... maybe only some bad coding habits and lack of sleep(I have finals right now).
Title: Re: Translating GUI Tool
Post by: bongowongo on January 30, 2012, 09:27:06 pm
Here is source http://www.mediafire.com/file/a3fab514ak9xgrs/Translator.7z (http://www.mediafire.com/file/a3fab514ak9xgrs/Translator.7z)
nothing evil inside... maybe only some bad coding habits and lack of sleep(I have finals right now).


Well I like your open approach on my remarks, but again this download gives me a positive virus scanner. Javascript trojan.
I hope it is just me.
Thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: Translating GUI Tool
Post by: l3mce on January 30, 2012, 09:52:59 pm
Thank you very much Medrawd. Sorry to burden you with scrutiny, but a new poster drops something which gives a false positive on a scanner... is only prudent.

Welcome to LMCE.
Title: Re: Translating GUI Tool
Post by: Medrawd on January 31, 2012, 07:43:27 pm
I understand. Nobody likes trojans in their inteligent house. It might get too space odisseysh.