Author Topic: Why is nobody taking on the programming tasks?  (Read 15697 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Why is nobody taking on the programming tasks?
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:35:08 am »
Really, what's up, guys?

Is there not a capable developer among you?

Nobody who wants to learn this system?

Lots of users, no contributors?

Nobody with a sack, much less the balls to try?

-Thom

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
Re: Why is nobody taking on the programming tasks?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:33:06 pm »
IMHO if you'll ask such manner nobody will contribute. There is a lot of good examples howto to build developers community. You can use that experience instead of posting such post.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:36:17 pm »
Michael, this is after years of showing examples
writing activities
doing screencasts
hoping people would catch on.

This post came out of sheer frustration, please take that into account.

-Thom

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:34:32 pm »
Thom

the project is huge, so it needs really involved people with plenty of time to even understand the underlying structure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but during these years  I've understood that it is not easy to make even small contribution without knowing a lot of things about system architecture. This takes a lot of time, probably much more than the majority of LMCE users have to put in.

I'm not talking about the I_want_someone_do_this_for_me guys, that probably are around in every project and always will be.

I'm talking about normal users, with maybe some skill that are unfortunately ruled out because the mountain to climb is simply too big.

I understand your frustration (and by the way I'm fine with your attitude), but I'm afraid it's not a matter of balls ...

Marco

davidsmoot

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:53:09 pm »
I'm fine with blunt and direct but here's my take:
I've been poking and reading the wiki and I can't even get a good grip on what LinuxMCE is and the high level architecture.  

I get that DCERouter is important.  I get that it is some kind of message passing / event driven interface / glue layer for various multimedia systems within linux.  But I've read the FAQ and it sounds fairly complex to build the whole system.  Without knowing where to start and how to do a hello world type starting point, I'm hesitant to dive into code and hope I figure it out.
Never mind, apparently I did not read the wiki well enough.  Found the starting point... time to read.

The promise of MCE is tremendous but for me at least, finding answers has been hard.

Plus I have all the usual excuses of job, kid, just bought a new house (which is why I am even here).

By the way, I think this is a tremendous project that has applications way beyond media.  Once I get a few more spare hours after my old house sells and I'm moved into my new place I'll sort through all the developer documentation, read the wiki, post some questions here, and then create the wiki page I think needs to be created to describe the high level architecture.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:42:42 am by davidsmoot »

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:06:35 pm »
im going to start trying these now that i've become (a little) more comfortable with c++
However, i make no promises on my effectiveness :)
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

grind

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:19:45 pm »
Hey guys, i am trying to use LinucMCE at the moment and have a lot of difficultys. Although i am missing some things.
Now i am reading the wiki day after day but it's hard to find all the needed informations and i have no idea were to start programming.

So if you can give me some hints for docs that would be great!
I want to know which software is in use (DB for example) and how to implement own features for automation.
How to "feed" the DB and how to react on certain events?

Thank you!

Regards,
Grind

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:49:06 am »
Hey guys, i am trying to use LinucMCE at the moment and have a lot of difficultys. Although i am missing some things.
Now i am reading the wiki day after day but it's hard to find all the needed informations and i have no idea were to start programming.

So if you can give me some hints for docs that would be great!
I want to know which software is in use (DB for example) and how to implement own features for automation.
How to "feed" the DB and how to react on certain events?

Thank you!

Regards,
Grind

Where are you searching in the wiki?
There is :
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Programmer's_Guide#Programmer.27s_Guide_Sections - Developers guide
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Orbiter - Everything you wanted to know about orbiter but were afraid to ask! Including screencasts from tschak.

There are also a bunch of related articles to those main ones relating to the other parts of linuxMCE.

Also check out
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Building_LinuxMCE_0810

hth
golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

grind

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 06:29:02 pm »
Great docs... Thank you very much!

grind

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:51:39 pm »
How many people are working on LinuxMCE at the moment?

I would love to support especially for Enocean and 1-Wire support but for me thats a long way ;)

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 09:15:51 am »
Boo!
* ddamron sneaks a peek!
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 02:40:56 pm »
ddamron, where have you been man!!

rages

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 11:51:49 am »
Hello everyone, my apologies as usual for my English.
I follow this project now for 4 years, it is really great and the commitment of the few developers are really priceless.
My reflection probably clashes with the spirit of open source, but I think one of the problems afflicting this project is dependent license from pluto.

I would see a much better situation such as "Asterisk" where the Digium Asterisk allows free distribution and only sell hardware.

Emanuele

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 06:40:33 pm »
Hello everyone, my apologies as usual for my English.
I follow this project now for 4 years, it is really great and the commitment of the few developers are really priceless.
My reflection probably clashes with the spirit of open source, but I think one of the problems afflicting this project is dependent license from pluto.

I would see a much better situation such as "Asterisk" where the Digium Asterisk allows free distribution and only sell hardware.

Emanuele

This has nothing to do with the topic of "programming tasks".  Start a new thread if you'd like to discuss it.

rages

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 09:41:36 pm »
Sorry probably because of my bad English I am not able to make myself understood.
I think there are a few other developers, because as said in previous posts, the project is very broad and the average user does not have time to understand all parts of LMCE.
The free distribution of the product would probably be more developers who could commit more time to achieve their economic ends.
That's it

Emanuele