Author Topic: New Pluto Install  (Read 12183 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
New Pluto Install
« on: October 02, 2006, 04:52:09 pm »
First, thanks Dan for facillitating my posting problems with the PHP group.  

I will give you some background of what I have done/attempted to do so far.  First I had some initial difficulty in installing the Pluto.  CD1 loaded and I went through the questions from the Partition Guide.  It then proceeded to install the software.  It got as far as installing the Base Software and I received a Bootstrap error (I believe  that was the error).  I Tried this installation twice and received the same error.  This was around about 15% - 20% of the installation.  I re-downloaded the kickstart CD and everything and reinstalled. From all appearances, it appears to have gone through without any problems.  No errors that i could see.  

My setup is as follows:

My core is  installed on a HP G3 Server with a Xeon processor.  This will not be a hybrid.   It has 512mb ram (going to upgrade to 1GB).  It has the network card (10/100/1000) imbedded on MB. Video Card imbedded on MB.  I installed a Happauge 500 PVR card.  Also installed a second 10/100/1000 NIC (DLINK).  Had a 80GB hard disk (on first IDE controller).  I installed a 300 GB  Hard Disk on Second IDE Controller (this server had two IDE controllers imbedded on MB).  

As far as partition, I set everything on the 80 GB hard disk, with the exception of /Home.  That I put on the 300GB hard disk.  Is this recommended?  Well anyway, everything installed.  

The parameters that provided for the setup questions are as follows (I will paraphrase; if I left anything out of importance, please let me know.):

1.  Server administrer DHCP - Yes
2.  Server IP - 192.168.10.15
3.  Gateway - 192.168.10.1 (I am assuming this will become the address of second NIC)
4.  Internet Connection ( additional questions will follow):  Yes

I have the imbedded NIC plugged into Switch (I am running a gigabit switch with cat 6 cabling).  I have a laptop plugged into the switch.  Now here is my first problem.  The server is providing DHCP addresses, however, not on the subnet of my server.  It provided the laptop with an address on the 192.168.80.xxx subnet. On the laptop, if I use the IPCONFIG/ALL command, I can see the various parameters from the DHCP connection.  DHCP Server - 192.168.10.15.  Gateway: 192.168.10.1.  DNS Servers - 192.168.80.xxx.  I did not use a nameserver (Should I have?)  Should I see this other subnet?  Now the problem, when I type in the link to the pluto web_admin, I get a page not found error.  Not sure why.

Second issue concerns the internet access.  It is my understanding that I will plug the ethernet cabel from my DSL modem into the second NIC.  I am not sure how this will work.  My DSL provider uses PPOE.  This means that I have to provide a username and a password to connect.  The way that I currently do it is I have a router that does this form me.  Meaning I plug an ethernet cable from my DSL modem into the WAN port on the router.  Within the router, it is setup as PPOE.  I input my user name and password into the router.  I then plug my network clients into the router.  How will Pluto accomodate PPOE.  Would this be done through the Web_Admin?  

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
New Pluto Install
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 02:23:48 am »
OK, am now able to login to Pluto through the Web Utility.  However, still need help connecting through my DSL modem thru my PPOE account.  Need to be able to pas my username and password to adccess my DSL.  Any help would be appreciated.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
New Pluto Install
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 07:03:35 am »
One other thing, while in Advanced / Network, it is only saying that I have one netowrk card .  I have two.  It is recognizing my embedded card, but not he PCI.  It is a D-link 530T 10/100/1000 card.  It is recognized in bios.  Also, the internal address of eth0 is 192.168.80.xxx and the external address of eth0 is 192.168.10.xxx.  How can I get htis to recognize my card.  Thanks.  Also, once recognized, I will still need to get my PPPOE working for my DSL connection.  Thanks.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
New Pluto Install
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 09:33:34 am »
Quote from: "tomlon"
One other thing, while in Advanced / Network, it is only saying that I have one netowrk card .  I have two.  It is recognizing my embedded card, but not he PCI.  It is a D-link 530T 10/100/1000 card.  It is recognized in bios.  Also, the internal address of eth0 is 192.168.80.xxx and the external address of eth0 is 192.168.10.xxx.  How can I get htis to recognize my card.  Thanks.  Also, once recognized, I will still need to get my PPPOE working for my DSL connection.  Thanks.

Perhaps this is just a problem of loading proper module for your network card. In your place I'd to this :
- take a look at ifconfig output (to check how many network cards)
- search Internet for what kernel module is needed for your network card and try to modprobe it....
- then you put that kernel module in /etc/modules or yet better on Pluto MDs page, where you can specify additional kernel modules to get loaded

PPPoe: I've put instructions here (hopefully didn't forget anything)
http://plutohome.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_setup_ADSL_access%3F

Myth: I also have second thoughts of using mythtv as live tv. So far I decided to have it only as backend recording and watch recordings with Xine player (I did some symbolic links to recordings from /video directory on public directory)....

HTH,

regards,

Rob.