Author Topic: Still having WebDT366 networking issues SOLVED  (Read 678 times)

Domodude

Still having WebDT366 networking issues SOLVED
« on: September 28, 2009, 09:01:18 am »
Hi,

I am still having networking problems with my WebDT 366. It now boots again, but the orbiter is not loaded since there is no proper IP address. I tried all network protection schemes, including "none", but nothing works. Often, the reported access point (using iwconfig) is 'invalid', but sometimes a valid MAC address appears. I'm probably on the right track when that happens, but I have no idea why the network does not get started properly.

A few key points with the configuration:
  • network name is CASE sensitive
  • WEP encryption key is actually key1 on my wireless router, not the pass phrase (is this case sensitive though?)
  • A nokia n800 works on the same wireless network, no problem.

Once the webdt finds a valid access point, what happens then? Somewhere between finding the AP and receiving an IP address, something goes wrong.

There's this great orbiter, sitting in its charger, and I cannot use it.   :(  Does anyone have an idea how to get this going, or how to prove defective hardware if such is the case?

Cheers

Mark
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:58:37 am by Domodude »

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Still having WebDT366 networking issues
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:03:08 pm »
Hi,

I am still having networking problems with my WebDT 366. It now boots again, but the orbiter is not loaded since there is no proper IP address. I tried all network protection schemes, including "none", but nothing works. Often, the reported access point (using iwconfig) is 'invalid', but sometimes a valid MAC address appears. I'm probably on the right track when that happens, but I have no idea why the network does not get started properly.

A few key points with the configuration:
  • network name is CASE sensitive
  • WEP encryption key is actually key1 on my wireless router, not the pass phrase (is this case sensitive though?)
  • A nokia n800 works on the same wireless network, no problem.

Once the webdt finds a valid access point, what happens then? Somewhere between finding the AP and receiving an IP address, something goes wrong.

There's this great orbiter, sitting in its charger, and I cannot use it.   :(  Does anyone have an idea how to get this going, or how to prove defective hardware if such is the case?

Cheers

Mark

Have you gone to LinuxMCE Admin-->Devices-->Orbiters-->Standard Roaming Orbiters-->(the one for your WebDT 366) and looked at the advanced tab to see if your WebDT 366's correct MAC is entered and saved there?

I have not found the WEP to be case sensitive, It's hexadecimal, 0-9 & a-f, and have entered it in upper or lower case and it works.

If you want, email me at my email in my profile and I'll send you a image of my WebDT 366's LinuxMCE setup to compare.

Good Luck,
Charles

Domodude

Re: Still having WebDT366 networking issues
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:58:19 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I played around a bit more, and then decided to have the WebDT connect to the ADSL (wireless) modem that also provides the external Core ethernet. Turns out that it DID receive an IP from that router!
Needless to say, I exchanged the router on the internal network and guess what. Of course, I do not know why the webdt did not get an IP, while the Nokia n800 DID get one from the same router.

Either way. I'm finally back in business.

I guess what can be learnt from this: if the problem makes NO sense whatsoever, the solution is probably somewhere you're not looking.

Mark