Author Topic: $1/month VOIP! AMP script and patch file  (Read 15128 times)

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
$1/month VOIP! AMP script and patch file
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:34:14 am »
For anyone interested, localphone.com has incoming phone numbers for $.99/mth unlimited minutes. Outgoing is $.009/minute. I am creating the amp scripts and will post it up soon.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:31:50 pm by donpaul »

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
$1/month VOIP! AMP script and patch file
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:31:40 pm »
Here is the localphone amp script, and the patch file for /usr/pluto/bin/sync_pluto2amp.pl to remove the svr lookup added by the localphone script.

You'll also need to add localphone to the list of providers. Run:
Code: [Select]
echo "localphone      http://www.localphone.com       localphone      SIP" >> /etc/asterisk/provider_list.txt

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: $1/month VOIP! AMP script and patch file
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 03:49:52 pm »
Add a ticket so this feature gets rolled in to the release.

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:00:10 pm »
Thanks DonPaul... this looks great. Does anyone use this service and can comment on the service? I have been looking for something like this for international calling from US to Europe.

Thanks

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 07:47:37 pm »
I use it and am very happy with the service. You can also request additional channels if you need them (for conf calling, etc).

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 03:21:48 am »
as jimbodude, please submit this via a ticket.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:19:19 pm »
I don't know much about VOIP options, but this is the kind of service I'd like to switch to.  However, I have only 2 requirements.  1 - I can transfer my existing home phone number (drop my existing phone provider).  2 - I can send/receive faxes on my stand alone fax machine.

Would this service work for that?

lemming86_au

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Josh Hagger
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 02:13:41 am »
Sceptic: Can't help with the first question, im sure they do it differently to OZ.
But I can help with your second question.
You would need to purchase an ATA & set it up as an extension in the phone system, but it is extremely unreliable, especially if you are sending the call over VoIP. You could look for one that supports the T38 faxing protocol & find a VoIP company that does also, but you're still probably not going to like the results.

For just receiving, Asterisk can receive faxes & email them to you as a PDF, you will find the configuration In Phones Setup under General Settings

Regards,
Josh

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 04:15:44 pm »
1. Not sure if they port numbers, since they call it "leasing" a number. I suspect that you cannot port to or from landvoice. But for $.99/month, who cares. Permanent numbers are best for cell phones anyway.

2. VOIP is meant for voice only, but sure faxing may work *sometimes. If you must fax from a machine, then get a landline. Or just use internet faxing, it is the future anyway.

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 04:17:12 pm »
as jimbodude, please submit this via a ticket.

I will once I figure out how to get my usb-uirt working... just got one yesterday.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 09:56:39 pm »
any updates on submitting this ticket?

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 10:39:27 pm »
I just finally installed 810 (convinced the wife it HAD to be done!). The script hosed my asterisk (I fixed it), so I am going to figure out the problem with the script first.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 10:42:28 pm »
1. Not sure if they port numbers, since they call it "leasing" a number. I suspect that you cannot port to or from landvoice. But for $.99/month, who cares. Permanent numbers are best for cell phones anyway.

2. VOIP is meant for voice only, but sure faxing may work *sometimes. If you must fax from a machine, then get a landline. Or just use internet faxing, it is the future anyway.

I use my home number for 2 things - faxing and places that require a phone number (and later sell the number putting me on eleventy billion call lists).  I recently ported my land line number to Comcast voip..  Meaning, I'm currently using voip for faxing with a number ported from a land line.  I just want to save a few bucks and get something that integrates with LMCE.  I'd even consider giving up my existing number, but reliable faxing (fax machine to/from fax machine) is unfortunately a requirement.  

On the other hand, $1/month is basically free so it may be worth the time/effort/extra hardware costs to give it a try in addition to my existing Comcast setup..  Hopefully there are no conflicts and two voip services can work together.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 03:30:01 am »
skeptic, so you have your telephone line coming out of the cable modem?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 03:58:41 pm »
skeptic, so you have your telephone line coming out of the cable modem?
Yes. 

BTW, if you sign up with stuff from comcast watch their installers like a hawk.  Their solution to switching from satellite to cable is to take wire cutters to the line coming from the dish.  Their solution for unhooking your land line is to take wire cutters to the phone line coming into your house.  I was displeased when I saw what they did without asking to telling me.