Author Topic: solved ? 0810 libdvdcss/w32codec installation  (Read 4582 times)

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
solved ? 0810 libdvdcss/w32codec installation
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:40:58 am »
Hi all, and apologies for what I'm sure is a sub-idiot question
 but what is the correct proceedure for installing this software on 0810 ?  -after struggling with nvidia drivers for 2 days I'm keen   on not  having to reinstall  (again ;)),

TIA
Ian

EDIT       goto  http://packages.medibuntu.org/          =>intrepid  follow instructions.....seems not to break anything
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:15:19 pm by maybeoneday »

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: solved ? 0810 libdvdcss/w32codec installation
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 05:41:18 pm »
All you should have to do on a 0810 system is 'sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 w32codecs'

samsung

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:38:04 pm »
thanks, yep, but i'm not sure that would effect files stored on my core harddrive?  either way, i can play files fine on the core, just not on the md's.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 10:52:43 pm »
Samsung - if these packages are not installed on your MD (but they are installed on your core) then you will not be able to playback encrypted/commerical DVDs, DVD rip images or media files that use the win32 codecs (such as WMV, WMA, and many AVI containers that contain similar codecs - you can't tell just by looking at an AVI what codec it uses) but you would be able to playback those files on your core... so you should look at that first.

Don't forget, just because you have installed these packages on your core doesn't mean they are on your MDs. You have to execute the same commands on the MDs too. You can do this, like this...

on your core:

sudo -s (hit enter, then supply your password)

ssh moon## (where ## is your MD device number)

sudo apt-get install w32codecs libdvdcss2