Author Topic: SCSI Installation Fails  (Read 10952 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
SCSI Installation Fails
« on: August 02, 2006, 06:17:07 am »
Assuming I have to add the lsscsi package or something here to get this to work.  After a successful install, on boot I am getting the error(s):

umount: devfs: not mounted
mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
umount: devfs: not mounted
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

---

Not a Linux guru by any stretch (obviously) but I am guessing this is the issue.  Figuring I need to add the lsscsi package to my install, if correct, any thoughts/links on how to get this done?

IBM Intellistation 6221-41U w/ 36 gig SCSI using the onboad IBM LSI SCSI controller.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
SCSI Installation Fails
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 08:01:31 pm »
Obviously this works on other equip.  Did a quick install of this onto a Tyan GS10 w/ a standard IDE drive and it worked flawlessly.  Still assuming this is a SCSI device issue.  Might try an IDE drive in the Intellistation just to verify but I'd rather use the SCSI for the primary drive and SATAs for everything else.

Ideas appreciated.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
SCSI Installation Fails
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 08:20:34 pm »
While I'm answering my own questions:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller

A little info on building/rebuilding an existing installer (which I believe is the primary issue here on the Intellistation/SCSI).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Scsi Install Fails
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 10:29:53 pm »
I had similiar issues with my scsi cards ( i was using an LSI controller and mptscsi) it looks like the driver does not install properly.  I tried to install another driver but did not work .  I am assuming i would need to recreate the driver and move it over .  I finally settled on a 3ware SATA controller and drive and the system runs flawless ( also had problems with the dell ide controller)

good luck