Author Topic: 16:9 UI1 Variant Do you think its warranted?  (Read 5539 times)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
16:9 UI1 Variant Do you think its warranted?
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:14:45 pm »
As a lot of small widescreen ratio devices are starting to pop up, I think we need to consider making a 16:9 variant of the UI1 (Normal Horizontal 16:9). Orbiter is sure to be ported to more and more 16:9 devices. A prime example is my google G1 phone. UI1 looks horrible on a 16:9 device currently because all of the background images retain their 4:3 aspect ratio. Also, areas such as the media browsers could make excellent use of the extra screen realestate (either by displaying longer Title names, or by adding a 3rd column for browsing media for example).

Just wanted to open it up for discussion - I'm probably going to start making it regardless (unless anyone has some compelling reasons not to do it), just wanted some input and Ideas of what we could do with the extra screen area.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: 16:9 UI1 Variant Do you think its warranted?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 04:25:02 pm »
same for the n800 and the mini2440..
br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 04:42:28 pm »
Since eNoodle started developing a new skin and Thom mentioned (several times) that we need a replacement for Basic skin, it might be a good idea to build the 16:9 variation on eNoodles skin and not to spend the the time to create a basic variation which will be replaced soon.

just my 2c
/chriss

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 05:42:38 pm »
Anyone that has an interest - can you post your device's resolution here so that I can ensure that support gets added for that resolution?

I'll start with 480x320

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 06:05:43 pm »
Good idea jondecker. What about the iPhone? I guess it has a solution of 480 x 320, if we add a new variation wouldn't it make sense to target these devices too, even if it is an exotic resolution?

eNoodle

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:04:51 am »
The resolution itself is not that important imho. We already have quiet a few resolution, and know, it must work on a small screen. The Normal 3:4 Basic UI is a little bit too small for the size of the n810 display. I am really only talking about display sizes, not resolution, as I am pretty sure, a solution that works on an n810 size wise, will work on an iPhone/iTouch as well. The screen might not look as good on the Apple stuff, but that's the price you pay for having a nicer case (and I prefer the Apple logo over Nokia logo :P)

Having said that, we come back to the need for a consistent layout across ALL UI1 based orbiter imho. Right now we have Basic that has been consistent from SmallUI to Normal 4:3

A new skin needs to be consistent for all of the devices as well. I started with a SmallUI replacement, but quickly realized, that it does not make sense, to have a new Skin just for SmallUI. It irritates the user a lot, seeing two different skins for the same interaction.

Just my 0.02EUR

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 11:11:42 am »
@posde, I agree, having a consistent layout on all variations is a must. UI2 is a little bit different, but at least the popups can get the same layout. That's exactly what I'm trying to build: One layout for all.

eNoodle

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:31:36 am »
eNoodle,

good. And yes, UI2 is different. imho it already has a totally different look, so I do not see a need to make design choices for UI2. But that is just me, who VERY,VERY rarely, if ever, use UI2.